Bronze Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After having lived without power during Harvey and the last deep freeze, I went ahead and purchased a portable tri fuel generator yesterday which I plan to use with natural gas to deliver 5500 watts. I have seen a few youtube videos where people have modified Suncast sheds to house their generators. I have a pool shed and I am thinking about storing generator in there and have it hooked up with my gas line and electrical panel (licensed professionals). I will need to add additional vents and an exhaust fan. Also perhaps add rockwool or something for soundproofing. This avenue seems to much be much cheaper than the whole house standby automatic generator (starting at 12k fully installed). Any comments, thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

The problem will be how much power your generator has to use.. You will not be able to run your whole house like the auto generators do.. I have a whole house generator that is manual.. Used it this weekend when the power went out for 3 hours, they work great.. start the gen, flip the make break make electrical breaker and go back to sleep... I never worry about what is running or if I am going to electrocute a lineman from backfeed... Granted mine is overkill for a house, I can run the hot water heater, the pool, the air conditioner and everything else all at once as it is a 28 kw generator end connected to a 36 kw diesel motor...

Yours will have to have a new panel installed that only uses certain breakers... It can be done and here is a great video showing what is involved :)

Please do not put the generator inside the building, you want it running outside, it can easily be stored in the building... :)

Thanks. I was only planning to use it for powering some lights, refrigerators and a freezer. I am also planning to use interlock on the main panel and a cable and a receptacle outside for quick connect. It will run on natural gas so I will not need to keep refilling it. My main concern is whether I should modify my pool shed and house the generator in it. Of course, I will have to another place to store DE, Chlorine etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.