Pool service company disaster. What should I do?

I added a 25 lb bucket all at once. I just broadcast spread it from the end of the diving board. No cloudiness. FYI: It heats up water enough to burn you in a bucket though if you are thinking of pre-mixing it.

Have you fired that company yet? :party:

Do you recommend adding all the 45 lbs of Calcium Chloride in one shot?
Is there any risk I might get cloudy water as a result of adding a lot of Calcium Chloride?
You can add it all at once. Even it it makes it to the bottom, it dissolves pretty quickly. It is exo-thermic (makes heat) so don't touch it with your hands. Wear gloves. broadcast it with a scoop or can. I have a 2 gallon measuring jug and use that to broadcast.

CH for plaster pool is ok starting from 250 and up. The Cal Hypo was suggested to use instead of LC to help you get to the 250ppm CH. After you get to 250 then use LC. Have you tested your Fill Water CH?

CH for plaster pool is ok starting from 250 and up. The Cal Hypo was suggested to use instead of LC to help you get to the 250ppm CH. After you get to 250 then use LC. Have you tested your Fill Water CH?

Actually, what I understood from the previous reply is that 250 is the minimum acceptable value for CH
So, I should bring the CH to 250 using Calcium Chlorite, and then keep raising CH little by little using Cal-Hypo.

The recommended value for CH is 350-550.

What's the Fill Water CH?

What's the Fill Water CH?
Test with your kit the incoming water that you use to fill your pool. We know its low, but still its a good number to know since water evaporates and CH does not. So every time your level up your pool water you are adding CH. I keep my CH between 250-300 ppm.

I have a problem.

This morning FC was at 2, so I added a gallon of liquid chlorine (12.5%).
Then I added 45 lbs of calcium chloride to raise CH.

Now I re-measured FC, at it's at 0.5. How is it possible?

I need to run to the pool store and get more liquid chlorine, but why is that happening?

Now I re-measured FC, at it's at 0.5. How is it possible
Where did the CYA end up ? We left off about 30ish with a 40 tartlet ? If that’s not the cause it’s possible algae snuck in if you dipped below minimum for a spell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just add more LC and test 30 minutes after you added and see what the FC PPM is.

Test before you add LC and then 30 minutes after you add the LC.

Perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to rule out algae. The CYA test is so subjective that you could be a 20 and just burning off your FC in the sun. So. We rule out algae so you don’t get behind the 8ball there and buy us some time to fix the CYA if not. :)

Thank you all!

I brought the FC back to 6 with liquid chlorine. I'll re-measure in 30 mins.
I'll also do the overnight test.

@Newdude I actually re-measured the CYA and noticed that it was actually below 30. That might be the root cause for the FC loss.
I cannot explain how I got the measurement wrong earlier this week.
I added half a gallon of liquid CYA and I will also re-measure the CYA tomorrow morning.

I added half a gallon of liquid CYA and I will also re-measure the CYA tomorrow morning
Liquid is really hard to get right if you aren’t adding a full jug. The sludge is the bulk of the CYA and doesn’t mix well to pour out half.

Stay on TOP of your FC until the CYA is up and proves to be holding well. You can lose all your chlorine in a few hours in this heat/UV.

Also, This UV right now……. Blech !!!:puker:

I brought the FC back to 6 with liquid chlorine. I'll re-measure in 30 mins.

Let's be clear that you added LC with the target of 6 but you do not know what you brought the FC back up to until you measure after 30 minutes.

You are putting too much reliance that your FC additions must be giving you the expected results. YOu could get a dud just of LC that does not raise the FC as expected. Unless you measure it after you do not really know what actually happened.

Reactions: Newdude
Let's be clear that you added LC with the target of 6 but you do not know what you brought the FC back up to until you measure after 30 minutes.
Good point - let me clarify.

I poured the LC when the FC was at 0.5, waited 10 minutes, and re-measured the FC. That's how I got a 6.
I re-measured again after 30 mins, and it's still at 6.

I'll do the overnight test too.

To give you the complete picture, this is the rest of the values:
- CYA: 30 (I added half-gallon of Liquid CYA to get to 30, and I will re-measure tomorrow morning)
- CH: 160. This is lower than expected. This morning I added 45 lbs of Calcium Chlorite (as recommended by PoolMath), and I was targeting 250. Maybe it hasn't dissolved completely yet.
- PH: 8. I guess it increased because of the Calcium Chlorite.
- TA: 70

Without a SWG ideal for you is 40-50. I'd go 50.

CYA 30-40 is fine in his environment. Keep the dot so it disappears between 30 and 40.

The season is ending within a few weeks and days are getting shorter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.