Pool service company disaster. What should I do?

Thank you all guys!
Believe me - being a newbie I am concerned about messing up with the new water. Having your support makes me feel much more confident.

I went to the pool store, and the only liquid chlorine product they have is Islander Super-Shock (Sodium Hypochlorite: 12.5%, Other ingredients: 87.5%).
As far I understand, that should be fine, but can you please confirm?

@PoolGate You recommended liquid CYA (which I could not find in the store). Is that just for convenience vs. dry CYA?

When filling the pool it is hard to mix granular CYA since you have no pump circulation going on. Liquid is pre-mixed but it costs more money. It is a convenience thing. You could use granular in a filter sock (they hold about 5lbs) hanging off the end of a pole in the water for an hour or so and then squeeze it out and mix with a pool brush.

See this video I made of how to add CYA.

Reactions: beachhouse
I went to the pool store, and the only liquid chlorine product they have is Islander Super-Shock (Sodium Hypochlorite: 12.5%, Other ingredients: 87.5%).
Sodium Hypochlorite is your magic word. The bottle might say bleach, chlorine, or some sort of liquid shock. It’s all bleach. ‘Other ingredients’ is water. If you get laundry type bleach from the regular store, make sure no scents, fabric technologies or splash less.

I just added half-gallon of 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. The pool is ~30% full.

I tried to buy liquid CYA, but I could not find it anywhere.
Could I just dissolve 1lb of dry CYA in a bucket of water, and then pour the solution in the pool?

The alternative is to wait until the pool is full, and then add dry CYA using the sock method.

08/18 update:

The pool is 50% full.
I am keeping FC around 5 using liquid chlorine (12.5%), checking daily.

I also ordered four gallons of liquid CYA which I'll receive tomorrow. I know it's much more expensive than dry CYA, but I was able to get a 50% discount ($14 per gallon), so I am happy.
I plan to add 1 gallon immediately (mixing the water with the pool brush), and the rest when the pool is full and the pump is on.

The total hardness is at 100, so I'll need to take care of that too.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Sweet !!

60-100 is great. Add baking soda if it goes below 60, And if it’s over 100, managing the PH with Muriatic will lower it for you over time.
CH -- I think you are implying TA. CH should be at a minimum of 250 ppm.

Reactions: Newdude
Brain fart. Apologies all.

beach house I was talking TA :brickwall:

still, file that under other info that may come in handy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TH (total hardness) is a guess (test) strip thing. Please tell us you are not using those!
I usually use the Taylor K2006, but I had to admit I am using strips while the pool is filling up :)
So yes, the TH reading came from a strip.

I'll do a proper measurement with the test kit as soon as the pool is full. I am still at around 60%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I'm surprised your chlorine makes it through the day. That's how I know when my CYA has disappeared ... the chlorine starts the morning at 5 and ends the day at 0. Even a tiny bit of CYA goes a long way to preventing things from being that bad.

I'm surprised your chlorine makes it through the day. That's how I know when my CYA has disappeared ... the chlorine starts the morning at 5 and ends the day at 0. Even a tiny bit of CYA goes a long way to preventing things from being that bad.
I am surprised too. That might be due to the fact that has been cold/cloudy in the last few days, and also the fresh water I am adding has come chlorine in it.

This morning I added half-gallon of liquid chlorine and re-measured the water (after 3 hours) with the K2006 test.

FC = 4.5
CC = 0
CH = 80
PH = 7

The pool is 80% full.
I also got the liquid CYA delivered, but at this point, I'll wait until tomorrow morning when I can also turn on the pump.

To summarize the next steps:
1) Wait until the pool is full, i.e. water is almost at the top of the skimmers
2) Move the multiport valve selector to Filter (now it's on Closed)
3) Turn on the pump
4) Add liquid CYA using Pool Math with a target level of 30
5) After 1h, add Chlorine using Pool Math with a target level of 5
6) After 1h add the PH increase powder using Pool Math with a target level of 7.5
7) After 1h add the CH increase powder using Pool Math. What should be the target level for a plaster pool?
8) Leave the pump on for 24 hours

Am I missing any steps?

4) Add liquid CYA using Pool Math with a target level of 30
5) After 1h, add Chlorine using Pool Math with a target level of 5
6) After 1h add the PH increase powder using Pool Math with a target level of 7.5
7) After 1h add the CH increase powder using Pool Math. What should be the target level for a plaster pool?
8) Leave the pump on for 24 hours

Am I missing any steps?

You can add the stabilizer followed by the LC and not wait an hour.

What is your TA?

Target 300ppm of CH but add 200 ppm and let circulate for a few days and see what your actual results are. Then figure out how much more you need to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.