pool sanitizing systems - silver ion versus salt

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
I know very little about different types of sanitizing systems. I have a choice between salt or silver ion on a pool and spa under construction. Will be mostly used by a few family members but as my daughter gets older, I'm sure she will have friends over. One concern I have with the salt is what happens to the soil where it is backwashed? I can't imagine it would be good for the soil. The builder prefers silver ion and says to do shock, just dump some pure bleach into the pool once a month. What little I've read is that the silver ion may have a hard time keeping up if you have many swimmers at one time. Would that be a concern? And then salt systems are more corrosive to the equipment. If I go with silver ion, would it keep things clean enough?

Welcome to TFP!

Silver ions do not provide kill rates necessary to keep the water sanitized. It can be used in conjunction with chlorine but all it really provides is some minor algae prevention and can potentially cause staining. The use of silver without keeping an adequate amount of chlorine in pool water is unsanitary. Your builder may be great at building pools but very few builders know water chemistry worth a darn. That's fine, I don't know pool building worth a darn, but I also don't go around acting like I do...

Salt systems are not more corrosive to equipment than other chlorination systems, that's a myth perpetuated mostly by those who have things to sell. Corrosive water is typically the result of low pH and sulfates in the water, typically caused by chlorine pucks and dry acid.

I can't emphasize enough that installing an SWG and following the methods we teach here leads to very clean, comfortable, and most importantly safe water. Stick with the SWG, keep the metals out of your water. Silver and copper don't belong in pool water.

K,

I have three saltwater pools.. In total they are over 25 years old.. In that time I have NEVER added any kind of "shock", or any other pool store magic, to my pools.. I have never had algae and know for sure, from testing, that my pools are fully sanitized.

I'd just about rather fill in my pools than have them not be saltwater pools.

Same equipment has been in place for all 25 years and I have seen zero corrosion or equipment issues.

Keep in mind that I am not trying to sell you anything... so what would be my motive to lie to you???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Please tell me if I am wrong, but do you have to still use chlorine to shock a salt pool ever so often? It seems like I read that you did although I know people using salt that say they never have. And to my previous question, is the salt harmful to the soil when you backwash? Per my contract, I have the option to go with silver ion or salt system. If I chose salt ,it would be a "Hayward salt chlorine generator purifier". Thanks for the welcome.

Hey klanel and Welocme !!
And to my previous question, is the salt harmful to the soil when you backwash
in GA I would not worry at all because a good portion of your state is on or relatively near the ocean be it through SC or FL. I had zero problems with it in NY for our local vegetation. In fact, where I dumped my pool water to waste was by far the greenest *everything* on my acre.

Some folks in the desert may disagree, but their vegetation is meant to handle other things instead. You should be fine.
Please tell me if I am wrong, but do you have to still use chlorine to shock a salt pool ever so often
8.5 years and never ‘shocked’ once. Look to the dictionary for Shock :

noun

a sudden upsetting or surprising event or experience.

With proper looking after, you will never have to suddenly correct your previous neglect. Once a week pool store / pool boy maintenance……. Yeah. You’ll be correcting the negligence once a week or more.

Reactions: CraigChing
Please tell me if I am wrong, but do you have to still use chlorine to shock a salt pool ever so often? It seems like I read that you did although I know people using salt that say they never have. And to my previous question, is the salt harmful to the soil when you backwash? Per my contract, I have the option to go with silver ion or salt system. If I chose salt ,it would be a "Hayward salt chlorine generator purifier". Thanks for the welcome.
Hi klanel and welcome, 4th year with my salt water pool, I have never had to "shock" or slam. I have a cartridge, so no back washing, but I have plenty of splash out.

The back side of my pool is surrounded with various plantings that get doused daily with salt water and they are thriving.

I would also never add metals to my pool purposely, you can read on TFP the many struggles of people trying to sequester, filter or lift stains from surfaces, then run from the silver system!

I know a couple of people who are using salt and they don't ever add anything. But I read/saw somewhere that even though it may look good, it needed to be shocked ever so often. Either way, that would not be a problem to do but if it doesn't need it, that would be a plus.

Anyway, per your comments and others, I will go with the salt system. I asked a relative about his salt pool and backwashing and he too has some sort of cartridge so he couldn't answer the question about salt in the soil.

Edit by Jim R..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont have algae, there is never a reason to "shock", if you follow TFP, chances are you won't get algae. If you do get it, we slam to kill it dead, and your back to not needing a shock on any kind of set schedule.

TFP is not just the name of the site, you truly will have a trouble free pool. Good luck, read everything you can on this site, ask any questions and lots of us will be happy to help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been backwashing salt water onto my lawn for years without any issues. If you are concerned, you could probably cut down on the frequency of backwashing by using skimmer socks to catch a good portion of the dirt and debris in your pool before it makes it to your filter.

I think you have decided but I will reinforce the opinions expressed by others. I fought an ionizer system for three seasons. I bought into the hype plus the store said a salt system would void the warrantee on my new above ground pool. It was costly and it took twice the recommended chemicals to keep it clear than what they promoted. The last year I finally started supplemented with pucks anyway. This year they wanted almost 500 bucks for the opening kit of chemicals... up from about 300 because of supply issues they said. Told them to pound sand. I'll eat any warrantee issues that might arise and I can afford to upgrade to a SWCG. So I bought and installed a SWCG and with the help of the awesome folks here I haven't looked back. My ionizer was maybe almost ok when combined with pucks but it just did not produce the really inviting sparkling clear water we like to have and was a lot more trouble and cost than advertised, plus there was the growing concern of actually having a sanitary pool or not. Do exactly what they advise here... don't go ad-libbing and you'll be good! Remember they are all volunteers here... but many seem to really live this stuff and love help others.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.