George in Georgia

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Jonesboro, GA
David van Brunt's book Swimming Pool Care... speaks highly of Pool RX, a proprietary device using "chelated" copper compounds to reduce the need for chlorine, and is safe for salt water chlorine generators. Received wisdom has been that copper algacides are death for SWGs, apparently plating out on the titanium plates in the cell, requiring an expensive replacement. My two years toward a BS in Chemistry don't help me here! Can anyone shed light on this??

Copper in your pool will stain the plaster and make blonde hair turn green. It does nothing to make the water sanitary. The same levels of chlorine are needed, with or with out the copper. So why take the risks?

Copper algaecides are no good either, but it has never been reported they do anything to a SWCG.

Copper is a terrible thing to add to your pool. Industry members love it because it prevents algae and when it causes green hair they can blame that on chlorine and sell more "low chlorine" products. Then when the pool gets stained they can sell the cure to that too. It's all very lucrative, that's why he now has a business training other pool people.

Use that book to prop up a table, that's its best value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know David; his daily purview is 7 day regimes.

Don’t throw out the baby with bath water

; he is an advocate of tfp like maintenance for the daily operator & quite vocal about it. He references & refers this forum on his podcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know David; his daily purview is 7 day regimes.

Don’t throw out the baby with bath water

; he is an advocate of tfp like maintenance for the daily operator & quite vocal about it. He references & refers this forum on his podcast.
I haven't seen the book, but if he actually preaches "speaks highly of Pool RX, a proprietary device using "chelated" copper compounds to reduce the need for chlorine " then it is nothing like TFP.

David van Brunt's book Swimming Pool Care... speaks highly of Pool RX, a proprietary device using "chelated" copper compounds to reduce the need for chlorine, and is safe for salt water chlorine generators. Received wisdom has been that copper algacides are death for SWGs, apparently plating out on the titanium plates in the cell, requiring an expensive replacement. My two years toward a BS in Chemistry don't help me here! Can anyone shed light on this??

If he is pushing anyting that reduces the need for chlorine it is snake oil, pure & simple. Avoid it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.