Pool Return Valve Settings??

combsone

Mar 24, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Hello. I've had my pool and spa for a year now and the way it has been set up is with the pool return valve open to about 75% and the spa return to 25%. I run the spa spillway for 2 hours per day. When the spillway is off, there's always been water that comes from the spa return that spills over into the pool. I always wondered if that was ok, but negligently didn't bother inquiring about it. I probably still wouldn't be concerned about it, but the tile below the spillway has developed marks from the water that trickles down when the spillway is off.

I obviously can't do anything about the cosmetics of it because what's done is done. My questions are: 1) Whether or not that I should be concerned about what's going on behind the tile and 2) Should I adjust the pool return valve to 100% pool and 0% spa return? (since I normally run the spillway for 2 hours per day anyways and that should help with circulation) Thanks!
pool spa.png

C,

If you are using the EasyTouch to run the "Spillway" function, then no water should be flowing over your spillway when not in the spillway mode.

When you use the spillway function, the Return valve should shut off all the water going to the spa when in the pool mode.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad showing the area around your return valve when in the Pool mode..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here's about the best pic that I could get. By the way, this pic is with the spillway off. So if no water should be spilling over, should I adjust the valve to completely shut off the return to the spa? I think I saw a thread where I can do that manually. Thanks!

Attachments

• Pool return valve.jpg
    Pool return valve.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 7
C,

Yes.. The limit switches inside need to be adjusted so that ALL the water either goes to the Pool or goes to the Spa. The valve should move 180 degrees, from full on to full off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the help. So I'm trying to adjust the actuator valve by following the directions here: Valve Actuators - Further Reading .

I'm having a bit of trouble after unscrewing the locking knob. I'm unable to push down on it so that I can adjust the handle to completely shut off the spa return. I'm using some force, but I'm not going overboard because I don't want to break anything. What am I doing wrong?

C,

You can't adjust the handle.. You have to open the actuator and manually adjust the stops..

If you have Pentair actuators, they do not have any way to move the handle manually.. Just Jandy actuators..

Try about half way through this video..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.