kcassidy0772

Jun 27, 2023
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The eyeball at my return jet is stuck. I want to change its direction but won’t budge it’s stuck to the return. Anyone had this happen? Anyway to losses without taking the whole return jet and hose apart?

That looks like Hayward eyeballs.

Hayward_Inlet_Fitting_Eyeball.jpg

Can you turn the hurled ridge to lossen it?

Put the handle of a screwdriver into the eyeball for leverage and see if you can reposition it.

It looks as if a pipe wrench was used to loosen that grooved ring as if someone had the same problem. I would use the pipe wrench again to get it off. Replace the ring if you don't like the gouges the pipe wrench will leave.

Hand tight only when you replace.

Reactions: kcassidy0772
That’s exactly the one I have.
That looks like Hayward eyeballs.

Hayward_Inlet_Fitting_Eyeball.jpg

Can you turn the hurled ridge to lossen it?

Put the handle of a screwdriver into the eyeball for leverage and see if you can reposition it.
that’s exactly the one I have, the Hayward. I can turn the ridge, but only with a wrench. And when I do, the eyeball moves with it. I’ll give the screwdriver a shot and let you know. Thanks!

It looks as if a pipe wrench was used to loosen that grooved ring as if someone had the same problem. I would use the pipe wrench again to get it off. Replace the ring if you don't like the gouges the pipe wrench will leave.

Hand tight only when you replace.
That was me getting those marks on the ring trying to loosen with a wrench. LOL. Couldn’t budge it without using the wrench. Definitely think best to replace, but I’ll wait until after the season when I drain some of the water out. Thanks!

You can just replace the eye ball & ring part (if you can get it out) without draining any water. Just be careful not to turn the actual fitting that goes through the wall. Turning the pump off makes it easier to remove - they seem to get stuck in one position over time. I keep extras on hand. Most pool places carry them.
Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread Amazon.com

Reactions: kcassidy0772
You can just replace the eye ball & ring part (if you can get it out) without draining any water. Just be careful not to turn the actual fitting that goes through the wall. Turning the pump off makes it easier to remove - they seem to get stuck in one position over time. I keep extras on hand. Most pool places carry them.
Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread Amazon.com
That’s exactly what I realized after my last post, that I could replace now. When I do turn it with the wrench , the fitting on the outside of the pool wall does move too, so I have to hold it while I turn the inside fitting.

That’s exactly what I realized after my last post, that I could replace now. When I do turn it with the wrench , the fitting on the outside of the pool wall does move too, so I have to hold it while I turn the inside fitting.
Be sure to tighten that back up & check for leaks when you get done. Replacing That part of the fitting & its corresponding gaskets do require you to lower the water level usually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.