DerekBooth

Apr 7, 2020
Mooresville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been battling cloudy water in my deep end. I am SLAMing, but I really think I've been creating a lot of my own problem by not circulating my pool properly. I've always aimed my pool returns directly at the skimmers opposite the returns. To make matters worse, I leave my pump on 100% skimmer 100% of the time, completely ignoring the main drains.

I'm toying now with 20% main, 80% skimmer, but I'm looking for opinions on which direction I should aim the return eyeballs. Maybe it's just me, but it really feels like aiming left vs. right makes very little difference when I feel the water pressure with my hand. It just feels like the water is blowing straight out.

Thoughts? Advice? The arrows in the image below point to my 3 returns. I think it's obvious where my skimmers are 😁

20210406_184536~2.jpg

Reactions: Ignoramus
Your pressure side cleaner should be getting to the deep end.
We say open the main drain valve so 5% or so of the water goes there. Barely open.
I try to make a swirl effect in the pool. That way the material makes it past a skimmer opening. Depending on your prevailing wind, point all the returns in the direction that will create a swirl in the pool.

Hmm. I'm now pointing all 3 jets to the right at a 45 degree angle down. And I've been watching 3 ping pong balls hover above the returns for the last 10 minutes or so. Could it be that my water level is too low? I've also got what I can only describe as a cyclone above one of the returns appearing at random.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, just checking to see if anyone might have any other suggestions. I've reverted back to pointing my returns upward because that seems to be the only way to push pollen, leaves and needles toward my skimmers. For the record, the skimmers do pull junk nearby into the skimmer, but it isn't as though the suction is so great that it can get the entire surface of the pool moving without the help of the returns.

What could I be overlooking?

try adjusting them to the right or left but point them just below where it moves the water on the surface.. It is not down at 45 degrees but maybe 15 or 20 degrees... If you see a wisp of the return hitting the surface that is perfect... I spent a day with the ping pong balls and moving the returns around until I found what worked ok.. I have an oval pool with the returns on 1 side.. it is almost impossible to get it working :)

Having returns pointed upward will definitely move that pollen around but it will leave the water at the bottom with very little circulation.

Decisions, decisions...

try adjusting them to the right or left but point them just below where it moves the water on the surface.. It is not down at 45 degrees but maybe 15 or 20 degrees... If you see a wisp of the return hitting the surface that is perfect... I spent a day with the ping pong balls and moving the returns around until I found what worked ok.. I have an oval pool with the returns on 1 side.. it is almost impossible to get it working :)

I really feel as though my returns were oddly placed based on the shape of my pool. Stuff is always getting trapped at the stairs. And I can't seem to get that circular current going that others talk about.

So, I'm wondering if I'm experiencing a suction issue. Debris in the pool floats past my skimmer unless it's floating very close by a skimmer.

I just recently replaced a bad pressure guage that always read 10 Psi. Now I'm consistently at 17-19 psi.

How can I tell if the suction is my issue?

Still struggling a bit here. Good news is the deep end of my pool seems to be clearing up toward the bottom of the pool. Less hazy. Not crystal clear yet, but an improvement. I attribute this to adding DE more frequently to my and filter and the return jets pointing down vs up. I'm still very much struggling with the surface of the pool, however. Thoughts on pointing jets down and toward the skimmers vs left or right?

Edit : the leaves and other floating debris tend to move in circles in the shallow or deep end of the pool, several feet from the skimmers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.