Pool Renovation. Seeking input. Circulation Concern w/ Tanning Ledge?

Jun 1, 2018
Houston, TX
I'm looking to pull the trigger on an overdue pool remodel. As part of a re-plaster we're going to add some structural elements. Photo below shows a bench we'll add from the spa and along side of pool in red. We're considering adding a tanning ledge in purple. The pool is old and only has three return jets shown in black arrows (plus a jet in spa at far right), and one skimmer. One concern I have is if the tanning ledge could cause some circulation issues. Jet number 1 would be just above the surface of the new bench (~16" deep), so I see no issues there. Jet number 2 lives where tanning ledge would be, and the PB plans on extending that line out to the end of the ledge. I'm concerned that there will be a lack of circulation above the tanning ledge.

-Any thoughts on this? Could I ask him to Y that plumbing behind the wall and put one jet above the tanning shelf and one through it?
-Any other thoughts on the plan? Should I expect the robot to not make it's way on the ledge and bench?

Thanks for the input!

Pool.jpg

My worry is the lack of a return on the far side to move the water around from that area to the skimmer.

The robot is not likely to get up on the shelf or bench and if it does it might not stay there. Plan on brushing that area. I do like the return up there as that will really help keep it clean and keep the water moving so it does not become stagnate.

My worry is the lack of a return on the far side to move the water around from that area to the skimmer.

The robot is not likely to get up on the shelf or bench and if it does it might not stay there. Plan on brushing that area. I do like the return up there as that will really help keep it clean and keep the water moving so it does not become stagnate.

There's some return that comes from spa spillover, but yes, circulation isn't great on this old pool, but not something I'm going to pull up decking to add. Haven't had any issues keeping it clean and clear so far. I've been so happy not brushing since getting the Dolphin... I can probably live with it a little bit so my wife can have her ledge :/.

One idea to consider is where you have your New #2 jet is to move it so it points to the far corner (to right of diving board). That may help a little and still have the one on top of ledge point to the opposite wall as now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.