Pool Remodel - Sacramento CA

Jason_Strobel

Bronze Supporter
Jan 8, 2017
Sacramento, CA
We are looking at having our pool remodeled. Below are some current pictures.
We are looking at adding a Baja or Acapulco shelf (seems to change names depending on who you talk to). to the shallow end where the steps currently are.
We are leaning towards Wet Edge Signature Matirx Cadet Blue
Leaning towards NTP Oceans-Blue 6x6 tile
Adding a couple MagicStream Laminars to the deep end
We will be re-using our current pump and filter since they are less than 2 years old. but will have them pushed back to the fence line.
Replacing current light fixture with an LED fixture.
All new return runs and skimmer installed.
Pool deck will be redone in a 2 color stamped concrete with cantilever edge
Auto fill will be added

Is there anything else i should consider? am i missing anything?
IMG_3851.jpg IMG_3852.jpg

Last edited:
I love all of your ideas! That shelf will be nice to hang out on! I would put in an over flow pipe for when you get lots of rain. Make sure you have a light by your equipment pad. You will thank me when you have to work on something and it is dark out there!!

Are they going to do a full or partial chip out of the plaster?

Kim:kim:

That does sound like a full chip out. You can dig a little more to make sure it means all over the pool of just around the returns and lights to be on the safe side but my gut says they mean whole pool and that is GOOD!

Here is my schedule. I guess the only question i have for you all at this point. this remodel doesn't replace the return line from the main drain to the skimmer. Its currently copper. Its about $2000 to have them replace that line. I am worried with the age of the pool that this line could be a problem later on. I also don't think i could add a Salt cell with that line remaining copper? Any advice or recommendations?

Drain: 5-20
Demo: 5-23
Plumb: 5-28 – 5-29
Inspection: 5-31
Gunite: 6-1 – 6-10
Back Fill: 6-12
Tile: 6-17
Deck Set:6-20
Decks: 6-27 – 6-29
Power wash: 7-3
Equipment: 7-5
Walk Thru:
Inspection: 7-8
Pebble: 7-17

That pipe replacement would be one of those "better safe than sorry" or "in for a dime, in for a dollar".............best to go ahead that replace that copper line. If your life is anything like mine we both know it will start leaking the second everything is done :roll:

Reactions: CaptainCannonball

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi -- I saw this. I assume your returns run under the hardscape? We are having this exact problem -- and it means that everything has to come up. the decking, the plaster etc. in our case they have to get under the pool etc -- so anything you do now will have to be redone if anything happens to that copper. It will probably be the best $2000 you never knew you spent. Anyway -- we have air somewhere in the returns now, one side isn't working and they can't really pinpoint holes in the returns. Do it now, and you control your destiny. If you dont and there is an issue -- then you have an expense pushed onto you.

Reactions: kimkats
So i am starting to worry. I work out of town a lot and this company was made well aware of that before we signed up. The project manager scheduled time to walk through with me before i left for the week Tuesday. he called that morning and canceled. I get back home from being gone, and the pool deck isn't demoed in all the areas discussed. The rebar for the shelf isn't in the shape we discussed and is missing a step and the pad for the pool equipment was not demoed, we are moving the location of the equipment so it should have been demoed also since it will now be new pool deck. I reached out to the gentleman that came out multiple times to go over what we needed and wanted and gave us our quote after the project manager canceled, he assured me that the project manager would call and apologize and reschedule. Well its now Friday night and i still haven't heard from the project manager. This company came highly recommended and i am really disappointed with the service i have received in week 1.

Doing some checking. We are already have PVC from main drain to skimmer . The pipe leaving the skimmer is PVC. but the pipe coming up through the equipment slab is copper. At some point between the skimmer and the pump it must make the transition to copper. This should save me the $$$ with not replacing the main drain line since it is already PVC. Unless someone here as a good reason that I should still replace it?

I don't see any reason to replace the whole thing unless you cannot find where the two connect as in it is inside the shell but my gut says it is not. I bet it is either close to the shell or the equipment pad. VERY glad I am not going to be the one digging to find it!! Keep safe in the heat please!!

I don't see any reason to replace the whole thing unless you cannot find where the two connect as in it is inside the shell but my gut says it is not. I bet it is either close to the shell or the equipment pad. VERY glad I am not going to be the one digging to find it!! Keep safe in the heat please!!

since the equipment pad is moving I don't think i need to worry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.