Pool remodel and spa addition

Chrisfield

Dec 9, 2020
Los Angles
Hello! We are ready to remodel our 30+ year old pool...new plaster, tile, plumbing, equipment. I would also like to add an integrated spa but cannot decide where would be best. I have 3 kids under 10 who love the shallow end to play basketball and other games. I know they will love the deep end as they get older so was planning on keeping it also. Here are the current specs:
Approx 14' x 42'
The water depth is 2'-9" at the shallow end to 9' at the deep end
The water volume is approximately 30,800 gallons.

It is not a rectangular pool so makes it challenging to fit in a spa and not make it look like an add-on.
Any advice on dimensions and placement of the spa? See attached pics. I have 2 contractors that are ready to go...just need to finalize the spa details.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 4.45.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 4.45.41 PM.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to TFP :)

We tell almost everyone to buy a stand alone spa as they are way better for using as a spa/hot tub.. can be used during the winter when the pool gets winterized and work way better as they are hot when you want to get in instead of waiting an hour for it to heat up...

"but" You are in Los Angeles and probably do not close your pool in the winter and may get a little more use than most... looking at your pool layout there really is not a great place to put a new spa, it looks like it may work just across from the stairs on the left...

Do you have some good pictures of your pool layout, that sat shot dose not show much detail..

Here is another pic. The only reason I didn't want to put it across from the stairs is because that's where my kids play basketball but I guess they could find another spot. I guess that may be the best place and the could make a curved wall so it somewhat fits. I wish I could see a sketch! The pool is huge so I was also thinking about putting it across the back in the deep end. See the other sat shot. Trees are hanging over the cement area so it doesn't look like it be there is quite a bit of space outside the pool there also.

And yes...we do not close the pool in the winter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 1.46.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 1.46.23 PM.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.14.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.14.24 AM.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 20
I’d say just to the right of the stairs but that would block your view of the pool if you did a raised spa. Guess you could it ground level, but then no spillover. Far side is a long way to walk in the cold, but might be best. Mine is going on the far side as well.

Chris,

As long as you have been in a gunite Spa and like it, then I say press on.. If you have not been in a gunite spa, then I highly suggest that you try one before you buy one.

Integrated spas are the most over sold and under used items in most all pool builds..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.