Pool refill

Nite,

Did your installer have a 30 day plan for you to follow? If not, this might be helpful, it contains a lot of info about new plaster. I don't know that much about how to deal with new plaster. But we have plenty that do.

Chris

Nite,

Did your installer have a 30 day plan for you to follow? If not, this might be helpful, it contains a lot of info about new plaster. I don't know that much about how to deal with new plaster. But we have plenty that do.

Chris
They didn't do anything, they started filling it and left, I am currently following that guide as well as the one from the "National Plaster Council" pictured below.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    422 KB · Views: 0
We do not recommend the use of sodium bisulfate - dry acid. Get muriatic acid. You do not have a Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware nearby?

My normal supplier is HD, 2 gal $11.98 for 31.45%. Check to make sure it's the higher strength.. They sell both.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, today I hit the 72 hour mark, should I go ahead with the other chemicals (CYA & Chlorine)? The pH is still out of control, but I don't know how long it will take to satbilive the pH on new plaster. After my 2nd brush last night I added .5 gallon of acid, 2 hours later it tested at 6.8 - 7.0, Today after work (before my first brush) it tested at 8.2 again.

Nite,

Congrats! Looks like you're following the same startup procedure I plan to use with our new pool. I've never done it but seems pretty straight-forward. It says to bring CYA level up and then FC... probably just to reduce FC loss but that's what it says:
  • Check all equipment and make sure it’s functional.
  • Circulate the water, add sequestrant. Run pump 24 hours a day for first week.
  • Watch the filter pressure and clean the filter as soon as it rises 20% to 25% over the starting pressure and right after vacuuming. The plaster dust might clog the filter quickly so keep an eye on it and clean the filter as needed.
  • After the first 48 hours vacuum daily before brushing using a vacuum head with brushes (such as used in vinyl pools) instead of wheels to prevent marring the plaster. Clean filter after vacuuming.
  • After 72 hours add the CYA and then the chlorine SLOWLY to gradually bring it to the desired level.
  • Continue to brush, vacuum, test water balance, and clean the filter for one to two weeks, or 3 days after you see no plaster dust coming off when you brush.
How is your filter doing?

Chris

Nite,

Congrats! Looks like you're following the same startup procedure I plan to use with our new pool. I've never done it but seems pretty straight-forward. It says to bring CYA level up and then FC... probably just to reduce FC loss but that's what it says:
  • Check all equipment and make sure it’s functional.
  • Circulate the water, add sequestrant. Run pump 24 hours a day for first week.
  • Watch the filter pressure and clean the filter as soon as it rises 20% to 25% over the starting pressure and right after vacuuming. The plaster dust might clog the filter quickly so keep an eye on it and clean the filter as needed.
  • After the first 48 hours vacuum daily before brushing using a vacuum head with brushes (such as used in vinyl pools) instead of wheels to prevent marring the plaster. Clean filter after vacuuming.
  • After 72 hours add the CYA and then the chlorine SLOWLY to gradually bring it to the desired level.
  • Continue to brush, vacuum, test water balance, and clean the filter for one to two weeks, or 3 days after you see no plaster dust coming off when you brush.
How is your filter doing?

Chris
Surprisingly well. I typically run 10 - 15psi and even after 2 brushes per day I have never seen it go about 15psi. regardless, I pull it out everyday and spray it down to remove any plaster dust that might be there. I reread the instructions a few times before I realized that I should start the CYA then FC even before the pH is under control. Getting the pH under control could take a little while I guess. She is actually looking beautiful this morning, sparkling clear in the Florida sun. Going to check the level now. Good luck on your new pool!!!

Is there some trick or special brushing motion that is used with vinyl liner vacuum's? I needed to go buy a vacuum with brushes instead of wheels and this thing sucks itself to the bottom of the pool. At 3400 rpm it was not moveable at all, as soon as the brushes touched the bottom it vacuumed itself in place. So I lowered it to medium (2400 rpm) and I could move it, but if I put even the slightest downward pressure it sucked to the bottom again. I basically had to lift it and place it on top of the debris. I did not try low on the pump. This is the one that I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H49JK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why did you think you needed brushes instead of wheels? Not that it really matters as none of them should get stuck like that. I would try it on low and see what happens. That is close to the kind of manual head I had before I got my robot.

Why did you think you needed brushes instead of wheels? Not that it really matters as none of them should get stuck like that. I would try it on low and see what happens. That is close to the kind of manual head I had before I got my robot.
I am following the directions on this page for new plaster Start-up New Plaster - Trouble Free Pool. One of the bullet points is "after 48 hours start vacuuming with a vacuum that has brushes, not wheels" See screenshot.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
You mean the vacuum is sucking so hard it is sticking to PLASTER?? I was thinking you had a vinyl pool and it was sucking up the vinyl. Then I read you signature (thank you for filling it out) and saw you have a plaster pool. Sorry about that.

You are VERY correct and wonderful for reading that part of the start up as wheels at this point could cause problems to new plaster...........now to figure out why the brush one is doing this. Something is not right. Do you have anyone that can look at the pressure gauge when you are vacuuming? I am wondering if the pressure goes up when you hook the cleaner up and again when you vacuum.

Have you placed your hand on the end of the hose to see how much suction there is on each speed of the pump?

This is a puzzle for sure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.