Pool recently opened...still cloudy

May 22, 2017
Midland Michigan
Hi! I just tested my saltwater pool with the Complete FAS-DPD chlorine Taylor Kit and these are the results, water is still cloudy:

CH: 200
Alkalinity: 130
PH: 7.4
FC: 0.5 ppm
CC: 1.0 ppm
CYA: less than 30

I'm still confused about the chlorine levels and should CYA be higher. I live in Michigan. 30K in ground
Thanks for your help!!

What came of your Copper issue in your other thread? Did you determine if the reading the pool store gave you was correct? Did you determine how that much copper got in your water?
If you have copper in the water, now is the time to do a large water exchange to get rid of it.

What came of your Copper issue in your other thread? Did you determine if the reading the pool store gave you was correct? Did you determine how that much copper got in your water?
If you have copper in the water, now is the time to do a large water exchange to get rid of it.

Sorry I haven't responded to those helpful answers! Nothing came of the copper issue really. I didn't really have a way to determine if the reading the store gave me was correct, I just don't really trust pool stores! No clue as to how it got in the water either, we did fill the rest of the pool up before opening with well water, but we do every year and had never had such a high copper reading. I cannot empty the entire pool right now for many reasons, so didn't really consider that as an option...I ordered the CULater 4.0 but not sure if that was the right thing to do or not?

If you have been using this same water, and you are assured you have not added copper by the use of algaecides, granular shock and tablets with 'Blue' in their name, then I would return the CULater thing. It has very mixed results that have been posted here. Most with copper get it into the water and then change the water to fresh.

You need to SLAM Process, dont run your swg just yet. Wait until you pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, then you can start your SWG. CYA of 30 is fine for now, after slam then raise to 70.

So I slammed the pool raising FC to 14.5 yesterday and did the overnight test last night. FC went from 14.5 to 13.5, but CC is still at 0.5 CYA is at 50 since I tied a sock with some CYA powder at the jet.
CH: 180
Alkalinity: 150
PH: 7.8

Water is clearer but still blue-ish and not transparent at all.
Why won't the CC go down? Could that be from algae? Or just unbalanced water chemistry?
Not sure where to go from here...
Thanks for your help!
Maria K.

SLAM level FC for 50 CYA is 20 ppm FC. Raise your FC to that level and maintain. Test FC and add chlorine every few hours until your water is crystal clear. Then do the OCLT and test your CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.