Drained Pool Based on High CYA Levels, Now What?

ZLJ

Jul 10, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon,

I recently tested my water and was told that the CYA ppm was 161 (normal range 30-100) and was told to drain it, so I did yesterday and just finished filling it up a few hours ago. Info on pool: I have an in ground plaster, medium gray color which holds approx. 15,000 gallons located in Southern CA. I called my local pool supply to ask what chemicals do I need to add for starters? They told me to add 2 gallons of chlorine and one gallon of muriatic acid which I have already done. Also, what water test kit would this forum recommend, one that includes a test for CYA ppm. I read a blog in which a test kit made by Taylor “Complete (FAS-DPD chlorine) M/N K-2006 was recommended

Please advise,

Welcome to TFP.
The kit K-2006 is correct or a better value (more reagents for testing) is the TF-100. See
Test Kits Compared

Actually the pool store gave you good advice, but you need to test the water to determine other variables such as CH, TA, pH, and CYA.

If you drained the pool completely, then you will need to add stabilizer (CYA) to get it in the range of 50-60. You did not mention if you had a saltwater pool so assume you will only use liquid chlorine. This prevents CYA increasing to unacceptable levels.

Suggest you get the test kit ASAP so you can test to determine next steps.

Reactions: Newdude
In the meantime add 5 ppm liquid chlorine daily, untill your test kit arrives.

Welcome to TFP.
The kit K-2006 is correct or a better value (more reagents for testing) is the TF-100. See
Test Kits Compared

Actually the pool store gave you good advice, but you need to test the water to determine other variables such as CH, TA, pH, and CYA.

If you drained the pool completely, then you will need to add stabilizer (CYA) to get it in the range of 50-60. You did not mention if you had a saltwater pool so assume you will only use liquid chlorine. This prevents CYA increasing to unacceptable levels.

Suggest you get the test kit ASAP so you can test to determine next steps.
Thx Herman,
You are correct, I do not have a saltwater pool. Any recommendations on a specific brand in regards to a stabilizer?

Any recommendations on a specific brand in regards to a stabilizer?
If you have time to wait a few days, Puritech on Amazon is always a good price per lb.

If you need it today, Google up HomeDepot, Lowes, WalMart and the poolstore because the prices fluctuate.

Always verify the bag says 100% Cyanuric Acid, even if you used that kind last time. Manufacturers change things all the time and you want to know while the bag is still full.

Reactions: HermanTX
If you have time to wait a few days, Puritech on Amazon is always a good price per lb.

If you need it today, Google up HomeDepot, Lowes, WalMart and the poolstore because the prices fluctuate.

Always verify the bag says 100% Cyanuric Acid, even if you used that kind last time. Manufacturers change things all the time and you want to know while the bag is still full.
Thank you!

Reactions: Newdude
For the Taylor test kit, you want the K-2006C - the 'C' is important as it has the larger reagent quantites comparable to the TF-100 or TF-Pro.

If you get the TF-100 or K2006C, add the SmartStir or SpeedStir stirring device.
The TF-Pro includes the SmartStir.

The TF kits are the better value for residential pool testing as they include more of the reagents we use.
While you may thing the stirring device is gimicky - most anyone who has one wouldn't be without it.

most anyone who has one wouldn't be without it.
+1. I found it too cliche to say how useful it was.

So I started recommending that you go try and take somebody's away. Let that be your guide on how badly you want one as well. Also, be prepared to fight dirty. They won't give theirs up easily. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: proavia

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.