Pool randomly drains dramatically

Gamios

Jun 28, 2019
Hollywood, FL
So we never had issues until a little over a year ago we hired a new pool guy. He got the pool just how we wanted it as opposed to the previous guy who left our pool green most of the time.

A month in of using him we needed a new pool cleaner. Fine. Paid him to replace it.

Then, several months later, pool guy said our pool had a leak. We never noticed the water going down until he told us and then it went down dramatically. I was very skeptical. We told him to just leave it as is as we were remodeling our house and had other things going on.

Months and months went by and pool never abnormally leaked/drained again. So we thought maybe he had tried to bs us. Now, recently it literally rained for 2 weeks in a row. Our pool water was to the rim! Then it stopped raining and still pool remained completely full for a week!! Then pool guy comes, i was home and didn’t see him drain the pool. But ever since then our pool has been loosing lots of water every single day!!!

What’s going on? Did this guy do something? I’m scared to see my water bill this month! I definitely feel like he did something to cause this. Please help me figure this out.

Welcome to TFP.

How much water is lots of water loss? If you don’t add water does the water level stabilize at some point?

Read Leak Detection - Trouble Free Pool about the bucket test.

Do you have an overflow drain or an autofill?

Talking 2-4 inches a day now. It has been super humid out and extremely hot. But again never had this problem. I just find it odd that as soon as he came by after weeks of not because it rained every day, it started doing this. No overfill drain. And no auto fill

Post pics of your equipment and valves and lets see if we spot anything.

I faced a similar issue last year and found that my liner was too old with cracks, etc. Not sure what kind of pool you have (please post the details in your signature) but check if you have a vinyl pool with cracks. Also, someone mentioned a hydrostatic valve in your main drain (my previous discussion link attached) which can erratically open / close (e.g., mine leaked until 50% or so then stopped but mine was probably due to water pressure since I do not have the valve).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.