Pool Leak, New Liner?

Hoster

Silver Supporter
May 27, 2016
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Back in action this season (almost.. :)) and will need to replace the liner...before I do that:

Background:
1. A significant drop in the water level (more than 1-2 inches a day) before closing the pool last season (Sept)
2. Closed the pool and the water level dropped more than 50%
3. I "inherited" the pool from the previous owner and the liner is old (10+ years perhaps?)

Questions:
1. Should I check whether something else before jumping the gun and replace the liner?
2. If the liner, then should I repair / check the concret underneath before replacing it? (will hire someone to do this)

Thanks again for all your help and looking forward to yet another year of learning!!

Something we're seeing more of this time of year for whatever reason are leaks at the hydrostatic valve in the main drain. So if you have one, it might be worth investigating. Hopefully your heater can help keep things comfortable while you check. :snorkle:

Now if it turns-out to be the liner, it's a personal call really. If it's an easy fix (small, clean, etc) why not get another year or more out of it. If the leak is in an awkward spot near a seam, corner, or somewhere that a patch isn't very reliable, then it may be time for a total replacement. That is the time where you evaluate ALL areas of your pool such as the concrete, coping, hydrostatic valve/main drain, return jets, skimmer area, even your light fixture. Nothing worse than having a new liner put in only to see the light fixture begin to show rust a year later. :(

Hopefully you'll find the leak quickly and be able to resolve it soon. Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Tex, thanks for the information, and will certainly check (not even sure if we have one).

By the way, if the valve is the culprit (e.g., leaking valve) should the water completely drain or once the pressure is relieved, the water stops leaking. The water level remains constant around 50% (e.g., after a rain / snowstorm the level increases but drops again then stops at a certain level).

Thanks again!

ho

if the valve is the culprit (e.g., leaking valve) should the water completely drain or once the pressure is relieved, the water stops leaking.
If it truly is the valve, it could depend on the condition of that valve. I would think that water pressure, or lack thereof, could attribute to showing some fault either way. But water temp permitting, if you can get down to the main drain, pull-off the cover, and check you might learn more. Take some food coloring dye too.

If however the leak is from the liner itself, it also makes sense that the water level would drop right back down to where it last was - a good indication there is a leak around that lower waterline.

As we replace the liner, I found no hydrostatic valve (just a plug) and the PB recommended testing the line (pressure testing) to absolutely make sure there is no leak but will charge be $250. My logic is if there is leakage due to cracked pipe, etc., then the water will continue to leak and NOT STOP at a half point (and potentially drain completely). Since I am spending $3000+ for the liner replacement, I am trying to "limit" the damage here....is my logic correct and is this worth spending another $250? Thanks!

i hired a local guy who opened and closed my pool for a few years. He used to work for a reputable pool company and knows what he is doing. You do need to be specific and direct him but eager to expand his business so willing. He serves most of central and south jersey, and let me know if you need the contact info. Fyi, i am paying $3000 for the replacement with Merlin liner (aqua max). Please note that I have fiberglass steps (i.e., NO NEED to cover the steps with the liner which cost more, and basically a retangular pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.