Pool Quotes - Raleigh, NC

darceync

May 28, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Hi, all! Been stalking the forums for a hot minute while my husband and I jump into this process feet first. Our last home in Atlanta was appx 16x36, 3'6"-6', SWG with a tanning ledge, sandstone coping, sheer descent WF and concrete decking... so when we got an almost ideal backyard here in NC for a pool, my hubby said we needed to go bigger and better!

We already decided not to go with PB#1 as he was significantly higher in $$ and was very resistant to some of our requests, essentially implying that we were dumb for asking for certain items. We've just wrapped a meeting w/ a 2nd PB today and have a 3rd tomorrow, but wanted to get a feel/reaction to #2's list:
  • Pool size 24'x38'
  • Custom free-form
  • 3'6"-8'
  • 18,200 gal
  • 7' interior depth spa w/ 360 spillover
  • Chiseled stone coping
  • 6" waterline tile
  • Pebble finish
  • 800 sq ft Travertine decking
  • Rebar #3 steel w/ bond beam (transferable lifetime warranty)
  • 100% shotcrete shell (transferable lifetime warranty)
  • 1 set of 3 wedding cake custom steps
  • Tanning ledge w/ umbrella flange
  • 4 main drains w/ anti-vortex covers
  • 2 largemouth skimmers w/ removable baskets
  • Separate vacuum line for cleaner
  • 5 adjustable eyeball returns
  • Nature2 FusionSoft SWG FSOFT1400
  • 5 Jandy LED color lights (nicheless RGBW watercolor)
  • Jandy 400,000k BTU JXi Pool/Spa heater
  • Jandy 2.7hp variable-speed ePump
  • Aqua-link PS6
  • Polaris 9650iQ Robot cleaner
  • Cost: $116,000
Options we're considering:
  • Large grotto w/ natural stone boulders + 10 tons of additional stone for decor (adds additional variable-speed ePump)
  • Fireplace/grill/fridge combo under additional 16'x30' pavilion cover w/ travertine decking
  • Fire pit w/ additional 188sq ft travertine decking @ back of pool area
  • Total additional cost for all 3 options: $53,000

Welcome to the forum!
Great list. The only thing I can point out is to be sure to not install the mineral cartridge in the Fusion Soft. The SWCG is fine, just not the mineral cartridge.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Please tell me you have a drawing or such to show us the freeform design! Also a pic of where this pool will be going.

Kim:kim:

No drawing shared back with us yet, but I'm sure I can replicate the idea and post it. And our backyard is perfect for a pool, hence why we chose this lot. Pics to come!

You might consider a heat pump rather than a gas heater. Cost must less to operate.

We looked into that but saw the HPs don't work below 50 degrees, so we'd need another heater source as a backup for colder nights. Since our intention was to use the spa pretty much year-round, that didn't seem as cost efficient.

Three comments:

1. (Most important) Do NOT get the Nature2, unless you want blue black stains in your pool. Get a plain old SWG.
2. Stick with the gas heater - heat pumps take forever to heat the pool in our climate.
3. Get more bids. Hard to tell from the description but that seems high. PM me for a local recommendation.

Three comments:

1. (Most important) Do NOT get the Nature2, unless you want blue black stains in your pool. Get a plain old SWG.
2. Stick with the gas heater - heat pumps take forever to heat the pool in our climate.
3. Get more bids. Hard to tell from the description but that seems high. PM me for a local recommendation.

If they take out the mineral cartridge then what would stain the pool? Im going on 2 years with my pool with a Nature2 and everything has been perfect

Yeah, we also live in raleigh, nc...Besides dealing with the county for 2 months regarding storm water management(live in a watershed), finally got approved permit. They started digging this past tuesday and pretty much done with the pool( 25X38 free form vinyl), 4-8ft......Now, we wait for the backfill to settle(hopefully we get rain this weekend), next electric and decking and drainage.....Hopeful to be swimming by mid july

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This isn't at all the exact or final design, but what we just got back from PB3. It is very close to what PB2 showed us, and PB2 even is sweetening the deal by throwing in the in-pool bistro table, an additional fire pit w/ the travertine, and 10 tons of additional boulders to soften the grotto lines and place around the landscaping at no cost. We're planning on changing the pavilion top to an attached shed-roof that follows the profile of our existing wooden deck on the house and the travertine deck will be a more organic shape that better follows the path of the pool (less of the squared off shape and hard turns).

Attachments

• DARCEY_002.jpg
    DARCEY_002.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
NICE!!! Something for every one!

Here are a couple of ideas to enhance it:
-bring the "table" bench around the curve and over to the spa for sitting and chatting with the spa. Also put a small step by the spa so it will be easy to get into and out of right there.
-think about a bench on the other side of the spa also. It will be good for people jumping off the grotto to swim to.

Kim:kim:

NICE!!! Something for every one!
Here are a couple of ideas to enhance it:
-bring the "table" bench around the curve and over to the spa for sitting and chatting with the spa. Also put a small step by the spa so it will be easy to get into and out of right there.
-think about a bench on the other side of the spa also. It will be good for people jumping off the grotto to swim to.

I think our PB is actually going to make the spa inset in the pool (a "champagne edge" I think he called it?) and then have a bench surrounding the profile in front. One of my favorite memories as a kid was sitting in a chilly pool with the warm water from a spa spilling over on my shoulders. That'll give us the swim access from the grotto, and we can talk to him about how that integrates with the bistro table/bench. I also want to add a small step near the grotto side for those habitual jumpers who will probably spend all day jumping (*ahem* my 12 year old - haha).

UPDATE!
So the night before we were going to sign, hubby and I decided we wanted to bring down the scope a bit (a lot). So we just left our follow-up meeting with our PB and have a quote for (I snuck a pic b/c we don't get design files until we are binding on Monday):
  • Pool size: 25'x40'
  • 112 linear feat
  • Depth: 3'6"x8'0"
  • Frame: #3 Rebar w/ 12" bond beam
  • Shell: 100% shotcrete
  • 4 main drains w/ anti-vortex covers
  • 2 largemouth skimmers
  • 5 returns w/ adjustable eyeballs
  • Coping: Either bullnose travertine or chiseled stone
  • Tile: 6" waterline w/ 2"x2" around spa
  • Finish: PebbleTec
  • Deck: 1318 sqft travertine
  • Equipment:
    • Vacuum: Pentair Prowler 920
    • Filter: CC 150 Pentair cartridge filter
    • Lights: 5 LEDs total (1 spa, 1 grotto, 3 pool)
    • Heater: 400k BTU Mastertemp
    • Control: Pentair Intellitouch w/ Screenlogic
    • Pump: 2x Superflo VS
    • Pentair IC40 Intellichlor SWCG
  • Features:
    • Spa: 7' inside diameter raised
      • 6 large therapy jets
      • 360* negative edge
      • Front bench surround in pool
      • LED spa light
    • Tanning ledge w/ umbrella flange
    • 21" bistro table w/ umbrella flange
    • 18'x6' natural stone grotto
      • Interior seating
      • 10 tons of extra boulders for landscaping
    • 3' inside diameter fire pit
      • 18" tall w/ natural stone
      • Gas ring + glass beads
    • 14'x12' Pavillion w/ travertine decking beneath
      • We purchased this from Costco to knock $$$$$ off our original project
      • PB agreed to assemble
      • Running electrical to it for ceiling fan + tv

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 298
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that design!! SO pretty and so much right with it! Swim lane, grotto, seating, etc!

Make sure to run some outlets to the pavilion as well for charging and such.
Yes, we'll do at least 3 outlet posts - one at the pavilion and one behind the firepit where the steps meet the main deck and one tucked in around the grotto. I think we're going to work directly with his electrician to do it, but we got the green-light from the PB.

Switch to IntelliCenter, should be the same price. It’s their latest version vs. one that’s been around for awhile
What's the biggest difference between the IC and the IT? I'm having a hard time finding any feature set comparisons between the two online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.