Pool pumps and automation electrical work

My builder wants $4000 just for the jandy automation equipment.

I was gonna let PB do it but I found out today this price doesn’t even include hook up.

how difficult is it to DIY jandy automation by buying jandy aqua link and use my own electrician for more advanced work? I’m familiar with electronics.

Also, my water requires an additional pump. I’m using jandy as my main pump. For automation, can I use another brand of pump like Hayward for my water feature?

John,

Almost anyone can wire it up, but the first time takes a lot longer than it should because most pool manuals are geared toward pool professionals.

I'd want someone that has done the job before..

We see a lot of things installed wrong.. Just because they work, does not mean the job is done correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: johnkim2020
John,

Almost anyone can wire it up, but the first time takes a lot longer than it should because most pool manuals are geared toward pool professionals.

We see a lot of things installed wrong.. Just because they work, does not mean the job is done correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim.

What are some of the moving parts?

actuator to control the valves for spa jet?
Shut on and off gas heater?
Control pump speed and on and off?

what else is there?

Last edited:
John,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Few questions if you don’t mind.

how difficult is it to install automation later? I read some say it is easy to install later but some said the opposite...

How do I control pool water temperature if I don’t have automation? Do I manually turn on gas heater and shut off when I feel water is hot enough?

How is VS pool pump speed controlled without automation?

how do I turn on and off pump without automation?

To be honest , I’m in the tech industry and sometimes tired of silly automations...

John,

Most Jandy equipment is not covered under warranty when not installed by one of their authorized dealers.

Assuming your main pump is a VS pump, then the pump needs constant AC power from a circuit breaker in the load center of the automation.

Then the automation's com port must be connected to the pump. The automation needs to be programmed with the speeds and schedules you want the equipment to run.

If you have a Spa, the you will have at least two actuators that mount on top of Jandy valves. The Jandy valves control where the water goes and the actuators electrically move the valves.. As a minimum, you will have an Intake and Return valve actuators which have a simple 3-wire connector the gets connected into the automation.

Most gas heaters do not get turned on and off.. They get put in a standby-like mode, which allows the automation to control when the heater heats and when it does not based upon the water temperature. For this to happen a temp probe has to be installed in the plumbing and then connected to the automation.

If you have any additional water features then they may or may not need Jandy valves to control them. Maybe additional actuators.

Any pool and spa light need to be connected to the automation.. Assuming that lights are low voltage LED color lights, your automation will need at least one relay and one step down transformer. If you want to have individual control over each light, you will need a relay and transformer for each light that you independently want to control.

If you are going to have a saltwater pool with a SWCG, it will have to we wired through the pump/filter relay.

It is never a good idea to mix and match on equipment.. But.. if your second pump is a single speed or 2-speed pump then any pump would work with any automation. Keep in mind that a single speed pump will need a relay and any two speed pump will need a special 2-speed relay.

Automation can be installed later, but you need to know what you want up front.. As an example.. Without automation you will need some way to turn the pool light on and off. If you put the switch in the wrong spot, you might have to dig up 25' of new deck to get the wires from where they are, and into the automation.

Without an automation system, you would manually control the heater from the heater itself.. You would tell the heater to heat to say 100 degrees. The heater would measure the water temp that it sees and stop heating when it senses a water temp of 100 degrees. The only difference with an automation system is that the automation takes over the heater and tells it when to heat based on the input you give it via your phone or PC or whatever control system your automation system has.

VS pumps have a built in control system where you can manually enter a schedule for when the pump runs and at what speed.. An automation system takes over the pump and allows you to do all that from inside your house.

Let me put it to you this way.. If I gave you an automation system to use for 30 days.. When I came to take it back, you would beat me with a stick... :mrgreen:

I know if is easy for me to spend your money, but a pool in general is a huge expense.. A long time ago, my father taught me that is better to cry once when you buy a quality tool rather than to cry every time you use a cheap tool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

John,

Most Jandy equipment is not covered under warranty when not installed by one of their authorized dealers.

Assuming your main pump is a VS pump, then the pump needs constant AC power from a circuit breaker in the load center of the automation.

Then the automation's com port must be connected to the pump. The automation needs to be programmed with the speeds and schedules you want the equipment to run.

If you have a Spa, the you will have at least two actuators that mount on top of Jandy valves. The Jandy valves control where the water goes and the actuators electrically move the valves.. As a minimum, you will have an Intake and Return valve actuators which have a simple 3-wire connector the gets connected into the automation.

Most gas heaters do not get turned on and off.. They get put in a standby-like mode, which allows the automation to control when the heater heats and when it does not based upon the water temperature. For this to happen a temp probe has to be installed in the plumbing and then connected to the automation.

If you have any additional water features then they may or may not need Jandy valves to control them. Maybe additional actuators.

Any pool and spa light need to be connected to the automation.. Assuming that lights are low voltage LED color lights, your automation will need at least one relay and one step down transformer. If you want to have individual control over each light, you will need a relay and transformer for each light that you independently want to control.

If you are going to have a saltwater pool with a SWCG, it will have to we wired through the pump/filter relay.

It is never a good idea to mix and match on equipment.. But.. if your second pump is a single speed or 2-speed pump then any pump would work with any automation. Keep in mind that a single speed pump will need a relay and any two speed pump will need a special 2-speed relay.

Automation can be installed later, but you need to know what you want up front.. As an example.. Without automation you will need some way to turn the pool light on and off. If you put the switch in the wrong spot, you might have to dig up 25' of new deck to get the wires from where they are, and into the automation.

Without an automation system, you would manually control the heater from the heater itself.. You would tell the heater to heat to say 100 degrees. The heater would measure the water temp that it sees and stop heating when it senses a water temp of 100 degrees. The only difference with an automation system is that the automation takes over the heater and tells it when to heat based on the input you give it via your phone or PC or whatever control system your automation system has.

VS pumps have a built in control system where you can manually enter a schedule for when the pump runs and at what speed.. An automation system takes over the pump and allows you to do all that from inside your house.

Let me put it to you this way.. If I gave you an automation system to use for 30 days.. When I came to take it back, you would beat me with a stick... :mrgreen:

I know if is easy for me to spend your money, but a pool in general is a huge expense.. A long time ago, my father taught me that is better to cry once when you buy a quality tool rather than to cry every time you use a cheap tool..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim for the detailed answer.

Is salt chlorination controlled by automation to monitor chemistry or no?

Based on what you described, here are the main features of automation:

1)control pool light
2)set pool temp from phone instead at gas heater equipment pad
3)program VS Pump speed to pump more or less based
4)turn on built in spa jet instead of lever
5)turn pump on off water feature

For pool light, PB installed standard LED 12v. I plan to wire to my own Wi-Fi LED driver so that take cares of pool light control.

out of other features, which one will I want to beat you with a stick the most if you take away from me?

I’m doing an auto pool cover which is quite expensive so I’m trying to trim the fats from the project...

lastly, should I ditch Jandy and go with Pentair?

You won't be able to buy most Jandy equipment unless you buy it used. Jandy has stopped all direct sales to consumers. No "authorized" dealer will sell it to you. It is good equipment tier one for sure but there are comparable systems out there that are more consumer friendly. Typically you want your SWG, PUMP and automation from the same maker. Lights are nice too since you'd be able to control light scheme if they are compatible.

John,

No one needs either home automation nor pool automation.. Both work just fine without it..

That said, I like the convenience of not having to get my lazy rear off the couch, if I don't feel like it. :mrgreen:

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, because that is what I have and it has served me well.. We have a lot of Jandy owners that are very happy with their equipment selection as well.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You won't be able to buy most Jandy equipment unless you buy it used. Jandy has stopped all direct sales to consumers. No "authorized" dealer will sell it to you. It is good equipment tier one for sure but there are comparable systems out there that are more consumer friendly. Typically you want your SWG, PUMP and automation from the same maker. Lights are nice too since you'd be able to control light scheme if they are compatible.
Thanks.

How is friendly is Pentair equipment to DIY automation? i heard they support 60day warranty for self install?

I do electronic and software for similar actuator and relay automation is what I do all the time. I took a look a few DIY thread here and nothing look too complicated:

1. Actuators to control valves.
2. Relays to shut off pumps.
3. Temperature sensor to decide send or not send water to gas heater
4. arduino/raspberry Pi to tie everything together

The last thing is VS pump. Do they need propriety com protocol to change speed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks.

How is friendly is Pentair equipment to DIY automation? i heard they support 60day warranty for self install?

I do electronic and software for similar actuator and relay automation is what I do all the time. I took a look a few DIY thread here and nothing look too complicated:

1. Actuators to control valves.
2. Relays to shut off pumps.
3. Temperature sensor to decide send or not send water to gas heater
4. arduino/raspberry Pi to tie everything together

The last thing is VS pump. Do they need propriety com protocol to change speed?

Lot's of Pentair owners here to help you! Nothing is hard about installing any of this if you are familiar with and comfortable around electrical. It is just basic wiring up of a load center. No magic here.

Most VSP pumps are proprietary and need compatible controllers to get the most out of them. Best to match at least SWG, pump and automation.

Take a quick peek at my DIY automation (link in sig). For the Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, you need an interface adapter and low voltage power for external control of pump speeds. Valve actuators run off 24 VAC power. I have no background in, "electronic and software for similar actuator and relay automation" and I was able to build a very basic and reliable system. With your background, you can build a nice DIY system. Heater control may be a bit more challenging.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.