Pool Pump Replacement - variable or not?

hepmama

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2015
Dallas TX
Hey Friends, My pump died this morning. About a month ago the capacitor was replaced. I hire out the equipment stuff so I contacted my pool repair guy. He said I have 2 options:
  • We can replace it with the updated version of your existing pump for approximately 1200.00 with labor and tax. It comes with a 2 year warranty.
  • You could also go with a variable speed version of your pump for 1850.00 installed and a 3 year warranty.
I don't know anything about variable speed vs what I have (single speed?)

What do you all recommend? What other factors should I consider?

I don't know what a variable speed pump is needed for. I'll attach some pics of my setup if that helps.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 7
  • pump and basket.jpg
    pump and basket.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 6
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 5
  • both pumps.jpg
    both pumps.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 5
  • controller.jpg
    controller.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 5
A variable speed motor will let you run it at lower rpms so that your SWCG will still generate chlorine but use much less electricity. Your current motor consumes right at 1400 watts per hour. A VS motor, running at sufficient rpm to operate your SWCG, will consume about 200 watts per hour. How long do you currently run your pump each day?

A VS motor will have its own timer/scheduler. So you will have it programmed to run certain times and then your timer would be used to control the SWCG, and as necessary, your pressure side cleaner pump.

Starting in July 2021, all replacement/new pool pump motors of 1.1 THP or greater (your current motor is 1.4THP) must be multispeed.

Thanks Marty! I just talked to the pool guy and he told me about the new law for next year. He also told me about the benefits of variable speed.

My pump run time in the summer is 12 hours, then I think it's 8 hours spring and fall, and maybe winter is a shorter day? I have all of it written down.

I decided I would like to go ahead and add automation so I can control/schedule things from an app so I'm pulling that trigger along with the variable speed pump now.

I'm super excited to be able to control this stuff from an app!

A variable speed motor will let you run it at lower rpms so that your SWCG will still generate chlorine but use much less electricity. Your current motor consumes right at 1400 watts per hour. A VS motor, running at sufficient rpm to operate your SWCG, will consume about 200 watts per hour. How long do you currently run your pump each day?

A VS motor will have its own timer/scheduler. So you will have it programmed to run certain times and then your timer would be used to control the SWCG, and as necessary, your pressure side cleaner pump.

Starting in July 2021, all replacement/new pool pump motors of 1.1 THP or greater (your current motor is 1.4THP) must be multispeed.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.