Pool pump motor fried during storm - twice?

philipaby

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2020
Katy TX
Folks,
I live in the Houston area and we are having our fair share of thunderstorms now. A few weeks ago, there was a major one that caused a transformer (or an arrestor not sure which) to pop in our neighborhood and we lost power. Since that incident, the variable speed pool motor I had (V Green 270) got fried and would not start up. Everytime power was applied, it would hum but not move. Pool tech came by and confirmed that motor was shot and went ahead to install a replacement. This time the motor he put in was a VGreen Evo. Since I assumed the old one was destroyed due to some kind of surge, had an electrician install a whole house surge protector.

We had a storm come by yesterday as well, but it was not violent like the original one and we had no power outage. In the evening I noticed the new motor had it's light blinking 5 times repeatedly and the manual says that there's some internal error with the motor. Refuses to start as well. Tried cycling with off/on and would not work. Now I don't know if the motor was running before the storm or not but it's kind of odd for something to happen. Pool tech is coming tomorrow to see what's up.

Just wanted to pose the question in the group to see if anyone has had similar experiences or some insight they could share?

Thanks in advance.
Aby

Thanks guinness, that's what I'm hearind about these motors. Since I had the whole house surge protector in, did not think of one for the panel. And oddly enough, today morning the motor decides to work again as if nothing happened! Will see what the pool tech says tomorrow. He says there's no reason for moisture to get into the interface and so on. The only thing he could think of was if there was some bug or lizard that came in through the fan ventilation etc. But will see what happens there.

See the thread below. Let us know what the tech finds.

Thanks Guinness and apologies for the late reply. As per the thread, I did try the 3 min shut off with breaker and turn on again but nothing happened there. The only difference was that the motor was off for the whole night and then turned on once the manual timer came back on. The pool tech came by and tested the voltage between the leads while the motor was running and everything looked normal. He was surprised as well. I hope this was just a glitch. Am also tempted to buy the wifi module so I can control the speeds as per needs. Right now the Evo motor just has one button for control with a choice of schedules. I liked the VS 270 better as it had a screen and allowed setting for any speed. In any case, will keep an eye on this.

Thanks and have a good one!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.