Pool pump makes a loud buzzing sound but doesn’t start

tclproductions

Bronze Supporter
May 20, 2017
Westlake village, CA
Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a pool pump that stopped working yesterday. When I turn it on it makes a loud steady pitch buzzing sound but doesn’t start up. We had a heatwave here yesterday of 111.
Any suggestions how I can go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.
Also, while I am working on this, any tips on how to avoid the pool turning green without a pump. We are in it daily for at least an hour.

Attachments

• 4804598E-8C9F-4D3F-989A-7256DAD77DB0.jpeg
    4804598E-8C9F-4D3F-989A-7256DAD77DB0.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 7
That motor is from 2001. So, it's 19 years old. Try a new capacitor. Make sure that the shaft is not seized. Check the voltage going to the motor.

You have a 1.65 total hp Whisperflo. If you need a new pump, I would go with an Intelliflo as it will match up with your existing plumbing arrangement (requires 240 volts).

Do you have 120 or 240 going to the pump?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be sure to de-energize the cap before working on it. Hold a screw driver across the contacts. They can still hold a lot of power even if they look dead. Kind of like a possum
Note that "most" of the time the capacitor will not be charged because it discharges through the windings when the pump is off.

If a capacitor is charged when you check, the motor windings have probably opened while the motor was on. So, a charged capacitor usually means a dead motor.

In any case, it's safest to discharge the capacitor before handling.

Use a 10k ohm 2 watt resistor to discharge the capacitor and not a screwdriver for best results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.