Pool pump makes a loud buzzing sound but doesn’t start

tclproductions

Bronze Supporter
May 20, 2017
Westlake village, CA
Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a pool pump that stopped working yesterday. When I turn it on it makes a loud steady pitch buzzing sound but doesn’t start up. We had a heatwave here yesterday of 111.
Any suggestions how I can go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.
Also, while I am working on this, any tips on how to avoid the pool turning green without a pump. We are in it daily for at least an hour.

Attachments

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
That motor is from 2001. So, it's 19 years old. Try a new capacitor. Make sure that the shaft is not seized. Check the voltage going to the motor.

You have a 1.65 total hp Whisperflo. If you need a new pump, I would go with an Intelliflo as it will match up with your existing plumbing arrangement (requires 240 volts).

Do you have 120 or 240 going to the pump?

Last edited:

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
That's 240. Try a new capacitor. Make sure that the shaft is not seized. Check the voltage going to the motor.

tclproductions

Bronze Supporter
May 20, 2017
Westlake village, CA
Thank you for your help. I threw a towel over it and de-energized it. I can't seem to find any indication to + or - on the 2 connectors. Before I pull it off I want to make sure I know which wire goes to which terminal. Or does it not matter?

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Be sure to de-energize the cap before working on it. Hold a screw driver across the contacts. They can still hold a lot of power even if they look dead. Kind of like a possum
Note that "most" of the time the capacitor will not be charged because it discharges through the windings when the pump is off.

If a capacitor is charged when you check, the motor windings have probably opened while the motor was on. So, a charged capacitor usually means a dead motor.

In any case, it's safest to discharge the capacitor before handling.

Use a 10k ohm 2 watt resistor to discharge the capacitor and not a screwdriver for best results.