Pool Problems - No Flow

So it runs great with no filter, proving there are no obstructions or flow restrictions. Then you put the brand new filter in and it quickly loses flow like it did with the old filter.

Algae (it's microscopic and you can only see it once it's a runaway train) is likely being filtered, quickly overloading your 200 sq ft cartridge. It was fair to blame the old cartridge but the new cartridge does the same.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to prove/disprove that, then SLAM Process if necessary

Reactions: wireform
So it runs great with no filter, proving there are no obstructions or flow restrictions. Then you put the brand new filter in and it quickly loses flow like it did with the old filter.

Algae (it's microscopic and you can only see it once it's a runaway train) is likely being filtered, quickly overloading your 200 sq ft cartridge. It was fair to blame the old cartridge but the new cartridge does the same.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to prove/disprove that, then SLAM Process if necessary
Good Point. I did the regular chlorine test yesterday during the day and got 4PPM. I thought it was ok.

... and got 4PPM. I thought it was ok.
Depends. First the test must be accurate (Taylor or TFP DPD test). Second, CYA and free chlorine are a team. 4ppm is fine for CYA at 30. It's an algae risk if CYA is 60. More CYA = higher risk.

Since your SWCG has been switching itself off, you don't know the minimum FC that has occurred in the past. Definitely take @Newdude 's advice and do the OCLT.

A brand new cartridge should not be reducing flow. The only explanation possible is 1) the cartridge is the wrong one or bad from manufacture (not likely, especially if you bought the OEM part), 2) incorrectly installed (also very unlikely as you've been doing it right along) or 3) something is quickly clogging it up. That's either algae or something else that should be pretty obvious like lots of dust from nearby construction.

You'll get it. Just keep ruling out possibilities. Eventually only one will be left, and that will be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I'm running the pump at 2850RPM.. even with that RPM the basket is not getting full of water but I do have water flow and SWG is working.. I will leave it running for couple of hours on that RPM and will do the OCLT tonight.... I do see a lot of air bubbles coming out of the returns.... Gauge Pressure on the filter is on the 1st stick... very low..

You have a suction side air leak. Check that the gasket on the pump basket cover is clean and well lubed. Check everything before the pump that can let air in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a suction side air leak. Check that the gasket on the pump basket cover is clean and well lubed. Check everything before the pump that can let air in.
That was it... right before the pump... I didn't catch it before... Thanks for pointing that out... and thanks to everybody that helped in the troubleshooting.... without this forum I will be lost for sure and paying lots of money on service.

Reactions: mknauss and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.