DFW TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Curious to see if any of y'all have recently put in a backyard swimming pool over the past few years? We have been planning on one for a few years and saved up for the day to come. We have had a few pool companies come quote our project and have been pretty surprised!

I know with Covid, everyone was spending more $ on their home and adding pools. We held off during that time since we heard it was stupid. Fast forward to now, builder say they have slowed down a little, but I'm assuming their price tags are still high?

My neighbor built a higher end (more bells and whistles) pool last year for $100k and an outdoor living area for $50k. All in for $150,000. But that was a high end build. I've gotten quotes for $150,000-180,000. And even one for $200,000!!! We don't want anything stupid expensive. Just a basic pool with spa and possibly diving board (deep end).

Anyone recently get a pool built or quoted? We are in the DFW area FWIW. Thanks for any input!

Reactions: Jerz
Thanks for the feedback!
One thing that has been really surprising to me is the cost for an outdoor living space. 4 post living area with a solid wall and roof and some counter space (not including cost of grill/BGG) for $40-50k. Blows my mind.

I had my first pool built in 1990. It was 40k gal gunite masterpiece with a diving board, 40ft of rock waterfall, solar, and concrete deck. The all in it cost was $16,800. The Bert and Ernie guys from the HGTV show built it before they were famous. The last pool I had built in 2009 is 36k gal but was over $78k without any decking. Based on what I see here, that $16,800 pool from 1990 would cost well over $200k today and I couldn't imagine the cost of the pool from 2009 given today's prices.

Thanks for the feedback!
One thing that has been really surprising to me is the cost for an outdoor living space. 4 post living area with a solid wall and roof and some counter space (not including cost of grill/BGG) for $40-50k. Blows my mind.
PB we spoke with (4 months ago) quoted about $55 a sq ft for attached living area with electrical.

Our structure looks like that - 4 posts, gable roof and cedar wall. You can see my build thread where I have three bids from last October, and a little later with a bid from this March. Ended up at about $16k for 320sq ft with electrical and one wall. No outdoor kitchen. Probably would’ve added another $8k or so for that.

lot of people use costco gazebos, they are made very well with cedar and metal roof. if you like the look for fraction of the cost. i got one back in 2016, still looks great. comes in all different sizes.

costco gazebo

here is a pic from when we had a small dinner party. the one I have i think is 12 x12.
IMG_3867.JPG

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lot of people use costco gazebos, they are made very well cedar with metal roof. if you like the look for fraction of the cost. i got one back in 2016, still looks great. comes in all different sizes.

costco gazebo

here is a pic from when we had a small dinner party. the one I have i think is 12 x12.
View attachment 385809
Looks nice! I'm considering building one of these.

Looks nice! I'm considering building one of these.
very easy to put together . i did all my self slowly , just need help (2-3 people ) installing roof panels . cost me $1400 compare to 14-30k quotes i got. i know its really not the same thing but good enough.

Here are some pictures. The quote is for the pool and outdoor living space. The uncovered pergola and BBQ are already here. We’d probably remove the grill and add it to the covered living area.

Pool quote: $135,000
Outdoor living area. With solid rock wall (not shown in pictures): $47,000
Total cost: $182,000

1FA13258-0903-432F-A9F3-1757274E051C.jpeg9F8A6984-CC3F-4642-9F5A-B780BA941F95.jpeg3389001C-78D2-49C1-98FA-3F2E08246B29.jpeg

Ok , this is continuation of patio . I was looking for more standalone structure something like this
I’m getting a 12’x12’ standalone with back cedar wall, lights and electrical with my pool. Our is $16k. That’s thru the pool builder so you can imagine a 10-20% markup on the actual cost. I got other quotes from pool builders for 20k+

Here are some pictures. The quote is for the pool and outdoor living space. The uncovered pergola and BBQ are already here. We’d probably remove the grill and add it to the covered living area.

Pool quote: $135,000
Outdoor living area. With solid rock wall (not shown in pictures): $47,000
Total cost: $182,000

View attachment 385863View attachment 385864View attachment 385865
Design looks good. What are the dimensions on the pool and patio. Our 12x12 with cedar wall was $16k in houston but I got other quotes for $20k+.

We had a 13x27 with 6x6 spa, white plaster, with a concrete patio done for about $70k, finished Feb. 2021. I paid cash to the subs for extra savings on additions. Mostly extra concrete and a little extra tile work. I fixed the irrigation and redid the landscaping myself. This was approx 2x the cost we were given about 10 years ago.

Design looks good. What are the dimensions on the pool and patio. Our 12x12 with cedar wall was $16k in houston but I got other quotes for $20k+.
Pool dimensions are about 38x 20’
Spa 5x7’
23,000 gallons.
Decking about 1,500-1,800 sq/ft
Outdoor living space 19x15’

We built at the beginning of this year, near Austin in the super rocky hill country. 20x40 true negative edge pool (catch basin included) with an attached 7.5x7.5 negative edge. About 350 sq feet of limestone decking. Our cost for this was right at $125k.

We got one bid about 15k lower, but were just not ok with the PB’s contract and draw. We got three other bids that ranged from $175k to $225k for basically the same thing we built. Kinda crazy and this was before the snowmageddon in Feb.

I know with Covid, everyone was spending more $ on their home and adding pools. We held off during that time since we heard it was stupid. Fast forward to now, builder say they have slowed down a little, but I'm assuming their price tags are still high?

Your area is obviously different but out here, things are still booming! There are a lot of new neighborhoods popping up all around us and many of them are getting pools built. I don't keep track anymore but a few months ago, one of the local builder's advertised "play pool" had gone up from $33,500 to $38,500 in just a couple months.

Added: Just checked and the advertised price is now $40,000. :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: KJB1 and TampaKathy
Pool dimensions are about 38x 20’
Spa 5x7’
23,000 gallons.
Decking about 1,500-1,800 sq/ft
Outdoor living space 19x15’
Honestly that sounds about right on the pricing then. At least for the pool based on bids I got here in league city. Not sure what all the outdoor living consists of but I’d have no reference point for the rock wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.