Greenville tx
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Sorry this is so long. I have some issues I’m dealing with on my fiberglass pool that is not quite finished but running. I’ll start from the beginning.

After running the pump for awhile the first time, after the pump was shut off I noticed water seeping up from under the pool and water level in my spa drained down to the return jets. My installer thought it could be because he forgot to plug one of the outlets on the skimmer since only one is needed. More on this later.

Also my plumbing had a single 3 HP pump pushing water to the spa and the pool at the same time. The return jets in the spa had enough water flow to fill up and run over the spillway but you could barely feel any flow coming out of one jet and seemed no flow at all in the other 3. So my installer changed the plumbing up separating the spa from the pool and putting a valve that allows me to switch from spa to pool. That made the pressure better but still not like it should be.

we started filling the pool back up, and while he was there had the water going into the spa only, while pump is on. After awhile when the pool level was back to normal I went out switched to the pool to get circulation going. After a bit, water began seeping out from under again. This leads me to believe one of the returns going to the pool has a leak when under pressure. Probably because when the guy came to clean my pool the first time it was after a lot of rain, and his plan was to drain the water to clean. Before he could get it drained completely, a bulge began to form in the shallow end from rain water under the pool. I believe this bulge caused a damaged pipe at a return jet above where the bulge is. (Probably not a good idea to drain the pool but there was a lot of rocks in the pool from when they backfilled)

So I have two problems. One is a possible damaged line that is leaking only when pressure is on the line. The pool level does not lower any that I can tell when the pump is not pushing water through the pool.

I don’t know why I don’t have the pressure I think I should for the spa jets. But now that the spa plumbing is separate from the pool plumbing except for the skimmer line that runs to the pump, I can only assume today that when my spa was drained down, it backed up in reverse after the pump was off and pushed water up through the skimmer. I assume this because the pool level is way higher with the spa drained. I do not believe he installed any type of check valve to stop the water from draining back into the pool. But since the plumbing is separate on the return line side, I know the water isn’t backing up through there. Can it back all the way back through the pump up through the skimmer?

Would a check valve increase the spa pressure? I am used to the water in the pump being all the way up to the clear lid but with this setup even on the quick clean mode it doesn’t get up there which makes me think there is a pressure issue.

Some photos of my equipment for reference. Pump is intelliflo3 3hp I assume since it is the 230v. My pool guy found a cracked jet and replaced it so hopefully that was the only leak. Monitoring the pool level now. Leaves me with the pressure issue. Pressure is good in the pool it seems but the spa still has low pressure. The spa travels through a heater and there is a small drip from there but I can’t see that causing the pressure issue I mentioned in original post. Pool guy is going to address the spa level dropping by adding a check valve.
IMG_2687.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2688.jpeg
    IMG_2688.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 13
What RPM are you running the Intelliflo3 in Pool mode and Spa mode?

What is the filter PSI at what RPM?

What RPM are you running the Intelliflo3 in Pool mode and Spa mode?

What is the filter PSI at what RPM?
I don’t know the RPM. My system shows me GPM and speed percentage. I tried to find a way to convert the speed percentage to rpm but didn’t find anything online that tells me. I set it up to run at 65 gpm on spa mode which is about 75% speed. My heater shows 39 to 40 gpm coming from it. It’s comparable to about what it runs on quick clean mode. The filter PSI at this speed is about 15.

When I run in the pool, my pump speed on normal run I have at 40 gpm and it runs at about 50% speed. The pool returns have plenty of pressure.

I don’t know the RPM. My system shows me GPM and speed percentage. I tried to find a way to convert the speed percentage to rpm but didn’t find anything online that tells me.

Max speed is 3450 RPM.

Every 1% is 35 RPM.

I set it up to run at 65 gpm on spa mode which is about 75% speed.

75% is about 2500 RPM.

My heater shows 39 to 40 gpm coming from it. It’s comparable to about what it runs on quick clean mode. The filter PSI at this speed is about 15.
How does your heater show 40 GPM?

You cannot have 65 GPM at the pump and 40 GPM at the heater.

When I run in the pool, my pump speed on normal run I have at 40 gpm and it runs at about 50% speed. The pool returns have plenty of pressure.
Is the electric heater only in the flow of the spa?

Recently I had a pool/spa combo built. I chose a local company that doesn’t have a lot of experience. Kind of found that out along the way. I have another post with some issues I had but now it seems most of my problems are solved but I have a spa that doesn’t really function as a spa.

Before this build I had no knowledge of how spas worked and what was needed to make a spa. Basically what I have is a pool with a tiny pool next to it lol. This spa has a heater but the spa itself has no way to work independent from the pool. There is no lines that pool water from the spa so the only way I can use the jets in the spa is for the water to run over the spillway into the pool. My thought process as I think about is that water exiting my heater into the spa will rise and run over the spill way. I’m thinking the only way that spa ever gets warm is if the entire pool is heated. Also one return jet out of the 4 has decent pressure. They are all connected in line. I don’t know much about the plumbing. So I’m not sure this can build up pressure for the next three jets in line. At this point this is all covered now. Concrete and all.

To add a spa was $10,000. I want a spa that works as a spa. Right now I have a tiny pool next to my big pool that has one decent return jet but the pressure is not even close to the same as the pool jets.

I know spas can get pricy. For a pool/spa combo and the added $10k for the spa, what should I expect my pool builder to do to make this a working spa? I’ve considered talking to him and working out a plan to redo the spa down the road and make it work. I didn’t know or consider air blowers or anything like that and it wasn’t even an option but if the concrete and bricks around the spa will have to be busted up I figure I should go ahead and add it. Give me some thoughts please.

Attachments

• IMG_2705.jpeg
    IMG_2705.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Max speed is 3450 RPM.

Every 1% is 35 RPM.

75% is about 2500 RPM.

How does your heater show 40 GPM?

You cannot have 65 GPM at the pump and 40 GPM at the heater.

Is the electric heater only in the flow of the spa?
The electric heater is only in the flow for the spa. I can’t remember if when I looked I had the return going to spa and pool. Most likely that was the case. But when I put this to only go into the spa, the return jets have only a small amount more pressure. The 4th jet I can barely feel water coming out when the flow is to the spa only.

What happens when you increase your pump speed to 95% for the spa?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post pics of your equipment pad and full pics of your pool and spa.

That an IntelliCenter?

You should put in an automated heater bypass so that the restrictive heater is not slowing the flow when the heater is off.

I believe that electric heater is very restrictive and slowing the flow to your spa jets.

Get some good data. Report the pump GPM and % and filter PSI for your pool and spa.

You lack a suction line from the bottom of your spa that woudl let you isolate the spa water from the pool when in SPA mode.

This is major design flaw in your pool/spa.

And the use of that electric heater is poor design unless you have a two pump spa system with one pump for heating and filtering and a separate pump for the spa jets. The electric heater is very restrictive in the flow to the spa jets.

I think adding a spa suction line and changing the heater or adding a dedicated spa jet pump are the fixes.

That an IntelliCenter?

You should put in an automated heater bypass so that the restrictive heater is not slowing the flow when the heater is off.

I believe that electric heater is very restrictive and slowing the flow to your spa jets.

Get some good data. Report the pump GPM and % and filter PSI for your pool and spa.
This is easy touch. The heater is wired direct to a breaker so it is not controlled by the panel at all. It is controlled only by the button on the outside. I just figured that today. My installer admitted he knows nothing about the easy touch. It was just part of the package for salt pool equipment.

I thought about a bypass just because I’ve seen them when researching. But I need the flow to be good when the heater is on don’t I? When I get back home later I’ll get some better data. Originally the spa and pool plumbing all joined together. After I mentioned the low pressure in the spa, my builder changed the plumbing allowing me to pump water into only the spa or only the pool. It improved slightly for the spa. But still, the only line running to the pump comes from the skimmer in the pool. So when heating the spa, the water has to go into the pool to return to the pump.

You lack a suction line from the bottom of your spa that woudl let you isolate the spa water from the pool when in SPA mode.

This is major design flaw in your pool/spa.

And the use of that electric heater is poor design unless you have a two pump spa system with one pump for heating and filtering and a separate pump for the spa jets. The electric heater is very restrictive in the flow to the spa jets.

I think adding a spa suction line and changing the heater or adding a dedicated spa jet pump are the fixes.
Thanks. I will research this.

That an IntelliCenter?

I turned my pump to 90%. Turned valves to spa only. Flow rate on heater shows 56 gpm. Flow rate on pump shows 59gpm. Jets in spa are decent. I’m still missing two nozzles. My pool guy didn’t put any in so I ordered my own and they will get here today. I think the pressure is decent from the spa jets now but filter psi is at 25 psi. I think it’s a little high. What do you think?

I’ve been thinking about the spa and if it can heat up or not. Basically as long as more water is going in than going over the spillway the spa can heat. It would take awhile. Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support