Pool Plaster Problem

Jul 31, 2009
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Okay, 3 years ago I had my pool renovated which included having the pool plaster redone. So for the last three years I have been having an increasing problem with calcium build up. It started with white spots on the pool bottom and walls and has now moved to small rough nodules all over the pool walls. See picture of this years opening. So I had the pool acid washed and polished at which time I found the plaster to be extremely thin and hollow? Again see the attached picture. So my question is has anyone had similiar problems? Should the plaster have been alot thicker? Could there be a problem with the plaster used to do the pool. I have always had the pool water chemistry done but have struggled with the PH being high. Constantly putting muriatic acid in.

Attachments

• 8BC24C40-5966-459C-92EF-34AF828C9FAB.jpeg
    8BC24C40-5966-459C-92EF-34AF828C9FAB.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 37
  • C2ECBC44-60D5-4619-B250-AAA6ADC2724D.jpeg
    C2ECBC44-60D5-4619-B250-AAA6ADC2724D.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 82C019F1-228A-4D3D-83DD-DCE765D1EE49.jpeg
    82C019F1-228A-4D3D-83DD-DCE765D1EE49.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 35
  • E3605607-984C-4273-B426-FA696FAE314D.jpeg
    E3605607-984C-4273-B426-FA696FAE314D.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 36
Looks like the plaster company just did a skim coat of new plaster. Did they actually chip out the old plaster down to the gunite shell?

If you don’t request that the old plaster is removed then most plaster applicators will do a skim coat. Skim coats are weaker than full thickness plaster jobs and often have adhesion issues. It looks like the job done there was a skim coat job and they didn’t get the adhesion right in certain spots. Delamination of plaster causes surface cracks that leads to water infiltration between the old and new plaster and then the formation of calcium nodules like what you’re experiencing.

Did your previous plaster job come with a warranty?

Yes, but Im sure it will be a fight to get them to fix it the right way and tear out the plaster they put in.

Where are you located? Please put your location in your profile so it shows..,
<<--- here. Knowing your location lets us give you specific advice.

Your location can affect your consumer rights and warranty.

Read the warranty you got from the plaster company. You have something in writing?

Located in NJ. The warranty just says a 5 year warranty. My fear is they try to repair the chipped part and it just continues in different areas until the warranty is beyond the 5 years. Its a midnight blue pool so I can't imagine it will match. By looks of it they didnt use or have a good bond coat. It all started with calcium deposits and nodules.

Located in NJ. The warranty just says a 5 year warranty. My fear is they try to repair the chipped part and it just continues in different areas until the warranty is beyond the 5 years. Its a midnight blue pool so I can't imagine it will match. By looks of it they didnt use or have a good bond coat. It all started with calcium deposits and nodules.

The delamination happened first. It’s just not visible. The calcium modules are simply a sign of the cracked delaminated plaster. Once the water was drain and the plaster was acid washed, there’s was no pressure holding the plaster in place. That then leads to failure.

Your warranty will likely only cover repairs, not reworking the whole surface. You’ll want to get the repairs done soon and then live with it until you can save up for a new plaster job. When that does happen, you’ll need to make sure they do a full chip out. It will cost a lot more than the skim coat, but it will last longer.

Thickness of the plaster will not make a difference when it delaminates.

It does not look like a bonding coat was applied. You would see the color of the bonding coat if itw as there. Mine was brown and clearly different then any plaster color. That is the way you see if the bonding coat covers all the plaster.

I would see what the plaster company will do for you and start saving for a new plaster job with a full chipout.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$8,000 for 3 years of problems and terrible plaster job.....smh. Thanks for the help.

My pool resurface in 2017 was $15,000. Not to rub it in but I think you get what you paid for.

No tile or coping but my finish was Hydrazoo which is a premium finish.

I saw my bond coat go on.

Do I need to repair the chipped area you think or can it wait til I have the pool plastered again in the fall. They offered to come out and repair it but I would have to drain it. I just refilled it after having it acid washed.

That’s your call. You have to drain, fix, and refill sooner or later. I don’t see what waiting buys you.

Do I need to repair the chipped area you think or can it wait til I have the pool plastered again in the fall. They offered to come out and repair it but I would have to drain it. I just refilled it after having it acid washed.

I have to wait to do a complete plaster because the pool companies her are boomed solid til around August at the earliest. Was wondering if the chipped area would be ok til then. I have a well and would hate to have to fill my pool twice in less than a week or two. The company that did the original renovation wanted to repair it for now. However, I will not be using them to do a complete replaster obviously. This situation may end up in court.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.