Gold Supporter
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I've attached the first pool plans and I would appreciate any constructive comments or ideas before I proceed to get bids, etc.
It's probably helpful that I mention a few things.
1) The perimeter of the pool has already be constructed so it's literally "set in stone". The same for the depths, since I'm setting on bedrock. One part of the drawing lists the depth incorrectly...where it says a depth of 6 foot. The depth of that end of the pool is a finished depth of 46", again due to being on bedrock.
2) The specifications call for using two Pentair 420 filtering units along with two 320 Rainbow chlorinators. Due to the size of the pool, it's been suggested that using a double set of equipment like this is more economical and parts for these are available everywhere and easily available as opposed to using larger commercial grade/size equipment. As for salt generated chlorine, which I like the idea, my water is well water from the Edwards Aquifer and Trinity Aquifer here in Central Texas, and I'm using local limestone rock in (coping, decks, etc.) and around the pool. Everyone I've talked to with a similar situation (and all the major pool companies that work in the area) say there is something about this water that degrades the local limestone. It appears to be different with city water or water sourced from lakes in the area. As such, I decided against the salt route.
3) I just received the initial layout drawing today and during our previous discussions we had talked about either using Ozone or UV as well, but it wasn't mentioned in the equipment. I'm checking on the reason why.
4) I hoping to go with an in-floor cleaning system.
5) I am concerned about the lighting and hope it is adequate. The house is located at the bottom of the drawing and to the left of the drawing is BBQ area and covered deck.

Again, any input would be appreciated.

Wow, that is an interesting design. Is it supposed to be in the shape of something?

I havent looked too closely, but the first thing I noticed is it is a long way from the "Residence" marking on your drawing and the steps. Maybe there is a door on the far left, but I would consider moving/adding a set of stairs to create an easy entry/exit point to the pool that didnt involve walking all the way to the left side or clear to the other side of the pool.

Lastly, when you say the perimeter is already constructed, what does that mean? The pool is dug already? Do you have gunite already?

Ok, I looked a bit more and had a few more comments:

- You have an intellicenter, which is great. It also means you do not need the Screen Logic that is listed there as well, since that is already built into the intellicenter.
- all your skimmers are on one side of the pool. Is there a reasoning for that, like that is the prevalent wind direction? In the least, I would add one in the cove area by "existing rock waterfall #2" as I could see debris getting caught in there and not be able to make it to a skimmer.

Also just sent you a PM on something.

Last edited:
The entry is just slightly off the back door of the house and BBQ area. The length of the pool along the house is one solid rock deck that's already built. The pool wasn't dug out since I was sitting on bedrock for the majority of the area. I was limited in depth on one end but was able to do to 10 feet after clearing the bedrock. Instead it was formed in a free-form shape using rock walls. The entire perimeter is in place. It's almost like a bowl on the ground and now needs the plumbing, steel, gunite, etc. The bar stools surround a covered bar.
The cove area where the waterfall #2 is marked backs up to the house and an existing deck...at this point it would be difficult to cut a skimmer in and that's why all of the skimmers are on the other side. We discussed this and they think jets can be located to move the water away from that area. It was something we questioned.
I'll check on the Intellicenter/screen logic situation.

The swim-up bar dimensions in this drawing not accurate. It's much smaller and six-sided with a free form rock bar top. I tried to attach a picture that might help illustrate this., but it said the file was too large.

Dang, Sark is putting in a pool, or is that Elon Musks new place?
That is going to be an awesome build and fun to watch. I do feel really sorry for your poor plumber though. Keep the pics and questions coming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Dav and belated Welcome !!

1) That ain't no pool, its a MOAT !!!!!
2) for the record its the coolest moat I've ever seen.
3) please reread the description for 'under construction' especially the last. 3 words.
4) still total WOW
5) pics
6) again, welcome

Reactions: setsailsoon
The original plans had his real name on here so he took it down to protect himself from you weirdos. As you can tell from the picture, its going to be an awesome build with multiple water features and various coves. Hopefully we will get to see it to completion on here as it may be one of the most unique builds I've seen or at least on par with DBCooper, Bdavis, the couple of newer ones from S. Texas right on the water, the re-do underway in NY, and the ones from AZ last year. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of other cool builds as well but this one hangs in there with all of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.