Pool Placement - House on Angle

cj32991

Oct 13, 2022
QLD, Australia
My pool construction is scheduled to begin on Monday 10/16. My 7m x 4m pool shell has been delivered to the site. I have been deliberating over the final position of the swimming pool. There will be an area of coping, tiling and exposed aggregate concrete around the pool. My home/back verandah is situated on an angle and is not parallel to the fence.

I am seeking opinions on what would be the ideal pool placement.

Option A) I go Parallel to the fence AND the house. This would involve extra paving. Overlooking the pool from back verandah I think my eye line will be drawn to back fence. The yellow triangle pictured would be additional exposed aggregate to allow this, bordered with aluminium pool fencing. Unusual shape patio?

Option B) I go Parallel to fence. This creates an unusual opening between the house/verandah and the pool area.

Option C) I go Parallel to house. This creates an unusual shape to the remaining back yard. I feel my eyes may be drawn towards this?

I am Interested to hear opinions.I have attached a view of Option A from the back verandah to assist.9DE52662-A984-4FD8-91D0-119FC53AB625.jpeg20BBC509-7342-4EF6-9FE7-1A3B99A03C24.jpegBF1CC65F-FA07-4BEE-889C-14AA40FEF1BE.jpegD9A7C54F-C786-4CB8-93CD-3F91F083B5A2.jpegB06495B6-59F8-4977-A5D8-48749CAD4BF9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: While aesthetics can certainly be a huge factor in pool placement, a couple other considerations might be:
1 - Prevailing winds
2 - Position of sun

Wind will often times push surface debris, hopefully to the skimmer if positioned as such. With shallow ledges for sitting, consider the angle of the sun and/or how it typically sets so that you can enjoy sitting in the pool without a bright orange ball in your face. I got lucky on both accounts when ours was placed.

I had a similar issue at my old house with a triangle back yard. We lined the pool up with the house and barely ever noticed that the property line skewed away behind it.

I had a similar issue at my old house with a triangle back yard. We lined the pool up with the house and barely ever noticed that the property line skewed away behind it.
Going by what I'm told at our house, the pool must always be centered and squared from looking rearward from house. I could have saved hundreds of feet of decking had it been otherwise, and great pains between wife and PB were spent with every change or add-on as reevaluated from this view. Maybe if rear windows are not involved, other views are considered.

Reactions: Newdude
We have multiple angles to deal with in the back yard, and a rectangle pool. We needed to square the pool up to one of those, we chose the yard line. You would never notice the pool is angled off the house as some kind of mistake, it seems to flow very well now that everything is set up. I would pick the fence line and have a little bit of an angled patio. With the patio equal all around the back, my guess is, you will look at the beautiful pool, and not the lines you used to get it in place.

This was for our fence permit, but you can see the angles we dealt with.
Angle Lot.JPG
You can see here the patio got fit into all the angles against the house...

New Patio 5.jpg

We chose to have a separate "pool area", so even the fence is angled, but like I said, seems to flow very nice and the eyes go to the pool, not where it is placed against...

New Patio 1.jpg

New Patio 3 Backyard.jpg

Reactions: cj32991 and Newdude
My nickels worth would say to square the pool with your fence line.
Our fence line was square to the house on the left and at an angle on the right.
We squared to the fence on the left.
Now that the pool is in, our eye is drawn in that direction and we don’t notice the angle on the right side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.