Pool Pilot with error msgs that are keeping me guessing...

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Hi,

I am very much a pool newbie. We inherited a 2008 in-ground vinyl 18K gallon saltwater pool last year. Last year was pretty much set 'n forget, the pool was great with hardly any maintenance required.

This year I had some trouble getting any chlorine to show up but after a week or so of reading up on this site, etc the swg started kicking in and we were good for weeks. Last week, I took our cartridge filters out for a thorough hosing:

[attachment=2:ihvv6zss]filter.jpg[/attachment:ihvv6zss]

Also, we lost power several times due to a brutal storm. Since these two events, my 'trouble light' has been blinking with, depending on the day, sometimes different error messages. I am thoroughly confused and don't know where to start trying to fix this issue. I would really appreciate any assistance.

I use pool water testing strips and the occasional trip to our local Leslie Pools for a more in-depth water analysis. The strips currently show no chlorine at all, and 'near-ideal' levels for all other metrics. I will be taking a water sample in today to get tested as soon as I get out of work.

This is the unit I have:

[attachment=1:ihvv6zss]pilot.jpg[/attachment:ihvv6zss]

The messages I saw last week were:

Code:
[Purify OFF! Chec]
[                ]

[  Boost Mode    ]
[1:05P 75F   OFF ]

I added some salt shortly after as we had a ton of rain and I needed to empty the pool to waste quite a bit.

Then a couple days ago I started seeing substantial clouding so decided to add 1/2 gallon of bleach and 1/4 gallon algeacide to hopefully hold off any growth while I get this thing figured out.

The clouding is no better today (and no worse..) and this is what I saw yesterday:

Code:
[  Boost Mode    ]
[12:27A 75F  ON  ]

[Warning! Bad Tem]
[                ]

Test mode :

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Software V4.2   ]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Cell = SC-48    ]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Power level 1   ]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Minerals=3500ppm]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Temperature=75F ]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Cell = 24V 5.0A ]

Then this morning:

Code:
[  Boost Mode    ]
[12:46P 75F  OFF ]

[Purify OFF! Chec]
[                ]

Test mode :

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Software V4.2   ]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Cell = SC-48    ]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Power level 1   ]

[Test Pool Pilot ]
[Minerals=000ppm ]

I don't know what to make of this - do I have a flow issue, or is the temp sensor off, or is a cell bad, or ... ?

As I opened my pool today with the help of someone that is admittedly not an expert, I thought I'd post some pictures of my setup in case it triggers any alarm:

How we attached the swg and (2) cables:

[attachment=0:ihvv6zss]swg.jpg[/attachment:ihvv6zss]

I did take it apart and verified there was nothing at all in the screen. I have more pictures but the forum is telling me 3 is my limit so that's all for now. Any ideas on how I can get our pool back in order? I called the place that installed the pool but they want $200 just for someone to show up.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Pool Pilot with error msgs that are keeping me guessing.

Btw, the temp listed is 75F however it was showing up as 87F earlier last week. It has cooled somewhat but my thermometer says 82F so 75F is definitely wrong.

Couple other pictures, in case they are relevant:

[attachment=2:2ngbfc9p]swg3.jpg[/attachment:2ngbfc9p]

[attachment=1:2ngbfc9p]swg2.jpg[/attachment:2ngbfc9p]

[attachment=0:2ngbfc9p]swg4.jpg[/attachment:2ngbfc9p]

Re: Pool Pilot with error msgs that are keeping me guessing.

Sounds like the tri-sensor is damaged. The BAD TEMP SENSOR display will default the temp to 75 degrees. If it's damaged to the point of allowing water to infiltrate the sensor, it can wipe out the salt sensor and flow sensor.
That's where I would start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.