NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I’m nearing completion of our pool build and the mason subcontractor was just out to take a look at the grading for retaining walls and patio. Initially PB said we likely will need a retaining adjacent to the house maybe 1-2 ft high but would get a better sense of it once backfill was done. The mason doesn’t think we need one after looking at the property. He thinks we can take the concrete patio straight to the house with a subtle pitch into a channel drain (? Forgot the term he used) about 2-3 feet out so water is pitched away from the house. The other option would be a short retaining wall with rock against the house. I like the idea of a clean patio all the way but does it or can it cause any problems in the future? I’ve attached a pic for reference. The temporary gutter drains will be PVC buried underneath (getting that done next week) and the white paint line will be a retaining wall in front of the equipment as there is a decent slope into the backyard from there and he wants to build a retaining wall there to prevent any water drainage into the deep end of the pool.

Attachments

• 6FA43B12-A116-4DC4-98C6-71E5C17B9348.jpeg
    6FA43B12-A116-4DC4-98C6-71E5C17B9348.jpeg
    759.9 KB · Views: 68
He thinks we can take the concrete patio straight to the house with a subtle pitch into a channel drain (? Forgot the term he used) about 2-3 feet out so water is pitched away from the house.
Many people have that done. As long as the grate on top of the drain is removeable, there is a good slope from the house to the drain, and drain channel kept clean to prevent blockage you should be fine.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Thanks. They said that they can install the drain with removable covers if I wanted to but sometimes once they’re off they don’t go back on easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.