Pool opening in NE

MamaC4

May 7, 2020
Dover, MA
So, I feel like I panic each year opening the pool because it's been 8 months since I last gave it much thought......

BLUF: new company opened pool (20 yo 35K gal gunnite) and left chlorine pucks in skimmers, which I read isn't ideal, so I made some floats and have had them in there. Water cleared up in 2 days and two weeks later I'm still waiting on a big vacuum to clear out leaves/debris, but have been trying to balance. The water was too cold to start up the SWG, but have tried to balance everything else in preparation for the vacuum (which I want to happen before adjusting water level and adding salt and turning on SWG). I've added chlorine pucks trying to keep the FC up but after a few days it just disappeared and I can't seem to get any FC to register! Water is still clear, but mess on the bottom looking greenish (but it has since opening). Is it eating up the available chlorine? Should I shock? Add liquid chlorine?
Am I correct to wait on vac until adding salt and turning on SWG?

5/7 pool open, water clear in 2 days

5/12
FC 2 (added 1 puck to 9 already in there)
PH 8.0 (added 5lb 5 oz dry acid)
TA 120
CH 200
CYA 60

5/14
FC 3.5
PH 7.4
TA 120
CH 200 (added 25 lbs hardness increase)
Salt 2000

5/17
FC 0 (added 3 pucks)
PH 7.4
CH 275

5/19
FC 0 (added 3 pucks, total 6)

5/20
FC 0, CC 0.2
PH 7.6
TA 120
CH 275
CYA 40

I would be concerned that the zero FC is a result of chlorine getting eaten up by algae. Definitely add some liquid chlorine right away. You show two very different CYA results. How are you testing your chemicals? For today, I would increase the FC to the 6-8 range and keep it elevated until bed and run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have algae. If you pass the OCLT, we can move-forward with balancing if you are using a proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006).

Thanks, TX Splash -- unfortunately, didn't have any liquid chlorine on hand last night but did have 3 bags of Cal-Hypo so I added that and did a FC test a few hours later, and it was 8.5. Tested this morning and it was 7.0. Ran out to get liquid chlorine (and groceries, and pool stuff, and put baby down for nap, etc, etc) and measured this afternoon (it's been a mix of sun and clouds) and FC is 4.5. I'm testing with a Taylor K-2006, btw. Only caveat is I left 3 Trichlor tabs floating in the pool while this was all going on....... so did I totally mess up results? I'm guessing yes, or that the 1.5ppm while trichlor is floating in pool on the OCLT is a sign that I need to SLAM?

My CYA results... well I think that's a pretty hard test to be certain of, and I've watched the videos but can't ever seem to feel confident with the number!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.