Pool only ~11K Gallons, Pentair IC20 big enough?

Mar 23, 2017
Austin, Texas
I've been reading that you want to go larger for your cell than needed, but our pool is well under the 20K gallons for the Pentair IC20 (approx 11-12K gallons). Should IC20 be sufficient, or should we bump it up to IC40 just b/c it isn't that much more to do so at install?

Thanks!
Keri

Note, equipment isn't set yet, but plans are for Pentair VS pump and a Pentair 60 DE.

I will jump in and say that any salt system that isn't sized 2-3x the actual volume of water will not be able to keep up with normal chlorine demand. The price from going to a larger cell is nominal when compared to the head aches caused by an undersized cell. Every company puts out cells for different sizes of water and the recommend 80 ppm cya but only recommend 1-3 ppm chlorine. On here we know 1-3 ppm is a pipe dream and the bare minimum for a salt pool with 80 ppm cya should be 6. Sooner or later they will catch up with scientific papers.

Buy a system that is 2-3x your pool size, you can run it a smaller amount of time and lengthen it's life.

Keri,

The IC20 would work, but in the middle of the summer you'll be running at close to 100%. SWCG's only have so many operating hours.. So the larger the cell, the longer they last.

I would recommend the IC40 so that you can run it at lower percentage of SWCG output.

The small additional cost is well worth it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.