Pool Noob: Guidance requested :)

Lets look at it this way. If you got the pool to this point with the way the filter is in the picture then it's a no brainer to deep clean. The effort was spent on opening it so just follow through as this isn't labor intense at all.Do a very good deep cleaning and watch it turn the pool around. worst case scenario is you'd need to change out the sand and again not a big deal if all else is in good condition.

Cleaned the filter. It was super easy?!

I set the valve to backwash and just let her rip with the hose. There was no overflow it just went out to the backwash port. Didn't disconnect any plumbing, move the filter or make any mess. Ran it till the water was clear and then got back in there and disturbed the sand. There was something crackly on the bottom, some other material other than sand like a fine gravel. Got down there with the hose and I heard it moving around. Closed it all up, backwashed/rinsed aggressively 2x, and everything was g2g.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Nice work so far. Nobody is gonna let go until you are standing on your own two feet, I promise you. Your willingness to give the TFP methods a chance to work are commendable. Oftentimes, folks want to do part TFP and part whatever it was that kept getting them in trouble. Seems it never works. Keep the questions coming. (y)

Reactions: Newdude
@ghall6292 thanks for the kind words

I believe the crackling sounds I heard from shoving the hose deep into the sand filter was from pea gravel. I'm wondering if disturbing the 2 layers will have any adverse effects? I can imagine the sand and pea gravel is somewhat mixed together now vs before in neat layers. I imagine that this will settle with time. Any guidance?

Water is slowly clearing up. ATtached are latest pictures. The pole is 8 feet down in the deep end, hard to make out in the photo but I can now barely see the brush at the end. So visibility is maybe 1-2 feet deeper than a couple days ago.

I notice in the shallow end there is a slight green tinge. Not sure if it's still the water or if the liner is discolored.

Filter pressure was at 10 psi after my deep cleaning escapade yesterday. Today it's down to 8 psi. I assume this is settling of the sand / pea gravel.

Attachments

• deep end.JPG
    deep end.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 9
  • pool apr 6.JPG
    pool apr 6.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
10:30 pm
FC = 16.5 ppm

7:15 am
FC = 15.5 ppm
CC = 0

And the water is slowly clearing even more. I can now see the main drain at the bottom of the deep end and individual leaves.

Questions
1. How subjectively clear before ending SLAM?
2. The liner in the shallow ends is definitely stained a mildly splotchy green 🤮 -- what are my options?

Attachments

• download_20210407_075529.png
    download_20210407_075529.png
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 7
Marty, would running the pump slower increase retention in a sand filter? I think this works with a cartridge filter.

Slam does take its course and sand filters take a bit longer. I'd recommend even if your filter pressure isn't high even per tft recommended backwash go ahead and do it anyway. Brush preferably twice daily and keep slam levels up there as much as possible. It will come around. OCLT along with 3 criteria and I say twice OCLT with 3 criteria for good insurance.

I ramped down the pump to 2400 RPM to lower flow rate.

I will backwash again later today.

Will do the sock test for iron staining today. Apparently our water source has iron. If this is effective I will have some questions about sequestrants...

Got some citric acid from the canning section and the sock test confirmed the stains to be from iron!

Ordered 5 kilos of ascorbic acid powder from bulksupplements.com for $55. Will take about a week to arrive, should be good timing assuming I'm getting close to finishing SLAM and need to let the chlorine come down.

Confused about the sequestrant. What should I be looking for here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.