Pool Newbie

Lagerman64

Gold Supporter
Apr 14, 2019
South Carolina
Hi ya'll, I am so happy to have found this site. Been reading forum posts for couple days. I purchased a home, with an inground, vinyl pool. Unfortunately when I bought the house, I got no data on the pool, volume, liner install date, filter media change date. The pool's gem shaped, I guesstimated with a calculator, 15500+ gallons. It's been two years and I've plunged into pool ownership with extreme gusto. I had a pool company come out every two weeks to clean, adjust chemicals, and pick their brains on pool maintenance, gadgets, chemicals. My well water is high in iron, staining and removal's an on going struggle.
The deep end of the pool had severe wrinkling when I purchased it, which started leaking end of last summer (75 gpd). Had a bad algae bloom last year, pool company fought with it for 2 weeks. I installed UV sanitizer, cleared up in 3 days.
It bugged me to end the sand filter was hard plumbed, with no unions, come on, you have to remove the filter head to change the sand sometime. So I put on unions, and changed the sand.
Vinyl liner was just replaced 4/06, while that was being done I replaced the sand in my filter with glass. Water was trucked in to bypass my iron issues. Actual pool volume 16500. I've been adjusting chemistry myself, once my numbers are where I want them, I'm going to borate the pool as a pH buffer.
I'm looking forward to interacting with members, the knowledge base here is awesome.

Welcome to the forum!
Please fill out your signature when you can. Click on your Member name in the upper right and select Signature.

Be sure to post your questions in the appropriate sub forum.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Lagerman64
Welcome to the forum!
Please fill out your signature when you can. Click on your Member name in the upper right and select Signature.

Be sure to post your questions in the appropriate sub forum.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Thanks Marty, I just downloaded the Kindle version of Pool School. The Chlorine/CYA Chart, pretty much covers issues I've had in the past.

I ordered a TF-100, figured it wouldn't hurt to have something to compare with my ColorQ numbers. I've always been concerned about it's accuracy, especially when the unit cannot be calibrated. I've gone to two different pool stores, for water test's and used HGH test strips, nobody matches. o_O

I'd like to start a new thread, to post pics, chem numbers, and ask questions about tweaking my water. I'd like to call it, "Chuck's Pool", is this doable? If so, under what forum category would I post it?