Pool Newbie, Cloudy Salt Water

I have a question about next steps for all of you knowledgeable folks. I live out in a rural area so it takes awhile to get supplies. My wife had to go on a 40min each way drive today to stock up in more liquid chlorine to continue the shock.

Once the Shock portion is passed, what’s next for a saltwater pool?

Would I add salt while the pH is drifting down or wait and get it to the right level with liquid chlorine only? Current salt is around 2200-2400ppm. IC40 manual says 3400 is ideal, assuming it’s still functional.

Would need to be ready to start raising the CYA to SWG levels immediately?

Just want to make sure I have everything on hand. I’m fully expecting the salt cell to not be a perfect startup process.

Have some CYA on hand to raise that to 70 ppm. Once you are confirmed the SLAM is complete, add the CYA and salt (I assume you can test your salinity) to get to 3400 ppm. Start the SWCG and target at least 3 ppm FC generation per day. Test FC each day to adjust run time and % generation to dial in the FC needed.

Adjust your pH to keep in the 7's.

Reactions: TheShepherd
Good morning. :)

OCLT from last night - .5ppm (from 12 to 11.5ppm)
CC - barely turned pink, .5ppm

As for clarity, pics attached. Looking pretty good to a newbie!

Attachments

• FA5D9AD7-AE5A-49F4-B7B3-FBB9BCCBA39F.jpeg
    FA5D9AD7-AE5A-49F4-B7B3-FBB9BCCBA39F.jpeg
    689.9 KB · Views: 18
  • E80CC288-CD36-4228-BB5B-5E34275A8685.jpeg
    E80CC288-CD36-4228-BB5B-5E34275A8685.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: splashpad
Great work! I would personally keep at SLAM for one or 2 more days, keep bumping that FC to 12, as often as you can test and raise it. There is just a touch of murkiness on your long shot :) You don't want the FC to drift down to maintaince and have a "surprise" algae recurrence

It is advisable to turn off the SWCG when adding and mixing in a significant amount of salt. If a high salinity concentration goes through the SWCG it may damage it. Some SWCG's are more susceptible than others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to jump in on a tangent but is this an actual TFP recommendation; to turn off the swg for a day when adding salt? I haven’t seen that before but would love to know if that’s the consensus recommendation?

And if so, what is the issue that is being avoided? Sounds like some damage could occur to the swg??
The SWG should be off for 2 things
  • during a SLAM Process, reason = it will hide true FC loss, which needs accurate monitoring
  • when adding Salt, because it can (does) cause damage to the cell, it's a manufactures warning too.

Great work! I would personally keep at SLAM for one or 2 more days, keep bumping that FC to 12, as often as you can test and raise it. There is just a touch of murkiness on your long shot :) You don't want the FC to drift down to maintaince and have a "surprise" algae recurrence
Thanks for the feedback! I have salt being delivered Friday and was considering doing that anyway so I appreciate the advice! Will do!

Thanks all for the well wishes and comments! This community is fantastic and I wouldn’t have been able to finish out the clean up so quickly without all the great advice and feedback!

I’ve been raising salt and also cya (slowly). I’m circumspect that the salt cell will not work so I don’t want to end up at a 70 CyA and have to keep using bleach to keep it up while I figure out the cell.

Unfortunately, it does look like there is a problem with the cell. Sat is up to 3000ppm and the “Good Salt” light is now green. However, the Cell and Life lights are flashing. It’s been running for over twelve hours at 80% and chlorine level has gone down. 😕

While I figure out the salt cell, kids and fam are asking if they can get in the pool. FC is in range for the CYA chart and CC is < .5. Water is clear so I assume I can treat it like a non-SWCG pool and they are good to go and I’ll just keep monitoring FC/pH?

Last edited:
While I figure out the salt cell, kids and fam are asking if they can get in the pool. FC is in range for the CYA chart and CC is < .5. Water is clear so I assume they are good to go and I’ll just keep monitoring FC?
Yes, if you can see the bottom (safety) and FC is above minimum but below SLAM for existing CYA level, you are good to go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.