Pool Math........The App

Since I'm still outside of CYA range for SWG, would you suggest I just set it to plaster and liquid chlorine for now?

It's a relatively new pool. Have yet achieved the target CYA yet for chlorine let alone SWG [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mod note: answered via PM. pooldv

It appears the second update has helped many as the comments seemed to have slowed down some. There's still a TON of room for new features but we wanted to get the App mostly error free and easy to use before moving on. We are deleting tests and syncing are still somewhat buggy and it's something that's being worked on. Besides those issues, is anybody else having issues? If so please email us at [email protected]

For new users looking to download please visit Here for instructions on how to download the App.

Not an issue, wish I could comment on the usability since I am a software dev, but the app will not run on my iPhone. I have an employer-supplied iPhone 4 which tops out at iOS 7, and I think your app requires iOS 9. This is the case with many new apps. Oh well. Poolmath works great on the PC and I will just use that. But I applaud your effort.

Congrats on the app, looks very promising. I started with it last night adding a full set of tests, but probably won't go much further. I've read several posts below and understand the feedback you've given to several about using the social media logins. I understand it needs easy administration and I am very likely still in the minority, but this is the first app I've ever used a social medial login with, I broke my rule because I wanted to see and thought it might be worth it. I don't like and trust what gets shared, this is not on you, but on Facebook. There may be some good measures taken to prevent any sharing, but you can't protect what Facebook (or others) will do in the future. I already take issue with what happens (not from anything you've done, but proves my point) I log in to Amazon on my PC and search for items, I used Facebook on my PC and check a few posts. Then I go to Facebook on my phone and there are ads for things that I just searched for on Amazon in my Facebook feed. Facebook is my least trustworthy app I have. Your app may have mechanisms to prevent any further sharing of data in any kind, I just don't trust the big guys out there. They make their own rules and answer to no one.

I've got 325 apps that I use or have at least installed on my phone at one time or another and not one of them use a social media login other than that specific app, Facebook, etc. Decided I won't break that here, so just deleting the app.

I'll note for posterity too, I really have a bigger reason I'm not a fan of the common social media login. I share the house and pool with my partner. We don't share social media accounts, but we both test chemicals. The way this is implemented you then have to share one of the logins, not something I do, even though it is with someone I trust. We do have a shared email, hosted by a trusted email provider - Zoho, using our own domain. But only the big services are utilized.

Congrats on the app, looks very promising. I started with it last night adding a full set of tests, but probably won't go much further. I've read several posts below and understand the feedback you've given to several about using the social media logins. I understand it needs easy administration and I am very likely still in the minority, but this is the first app I've ever used a social medial login with, I broke my rule because I wanted to see and thought it might be worth it. I don't like and trust what gets shared, this is not on you, but on Facebook. There may be some good measures taken to prevent any sharing, but you can't protect what Facebook (or others) will do in the future. I already take issue with what happens (not from anything you've done, but proves my point) I log in to Amazon on my PC and search for items, I used Facebook on my PC and check a few posts. Then I go to Facebook on my phone and there are ads for things that I just searched for on Amazon in my Facebook feed. Facebook is my least trustworthy app I have. Your app may have mechanisms to prevent any further sharing of data in any kind, I just don't trust the big guys out there. They make their own rules and answer to no one.

I've got 325 apps that I use or have at least installed on my phone at one time or another and not one of them use a social media login other than that specific app, Facebook, etc. Decided I won't break that here, so just deleting the app.

I'll note for posterity too, I really have a bigger reason I'm not a fan of the common social media login. I share the house and pool with my partner. We don't share social media accounts, but we both test chemicals. The way this is implemented you then have to share one of the logins, not something I do, even though it is with someone I trust. We do have a shared email, hosted by a trusted email provider - Zoho, using our own domain. But only the big services are utilized.

So just create a TFP-only google email address and log in with it. Simple solution and avoids Facebook concerns.

I think the app will be great. A couple questions (using iPhone):
-In the overview section, the recommended FC is correct for the CYA. However, the SLAM value was listed as 10. I changed it to 16. Can this field be auto completed based on CYA? EDIT: I see it does update. I must've had to enter the CYA in another place that made the value change.
- Also in the FC section- I an SLAMming now, so I toggle the SLAM radio button, but when I go back to the overview, it still says a 3-7ppm recommended FC. I'm not seeing what this radio button really does- it seems to only temporarily change the FC recommendation. Is this the way it's supposed to work?
- I don't track CH. Can it be removed from the overview, or the log?
- I have 'Track Water Temp' selected in the options. However, it does not appear in the log. Is it supposed to? This would be helpful.

Thanks!

Thanks - valid suggestion, I just want to avoid another email. Would just like to see a site and tool like this avoid the social media all together and give the options of using an existing email.

I fully understand this concern. I know the pros of using Social Login and the info we do receive (Name and Email) is greatly limited. That said, I also know the issues in the past that these platforms have had and how it's scared many people off.

As Jon mentioned we have thought strongly about creating a bridge between TFP and PoolMath that will allow the user to login using your TFP information. In fact, we think we've already got TFP setup to do its part (hasn't been tested). The hard part though is creating the code for PoolMath to do its part. There is one main reason we launched without this feature, time. To create this we're guessing several weeks of trial and errors involved. For us to do that we likely wouldn't be able to launch until Mid-June at the earliest. Not a good time. We decided to put our energy elsewhere and get this program into your hands now so we can work any bugs out and get some neat new features created before things really pickup. Now granted we may get lucky and get everything setup the first time......but that's not likely gonna happen. :)

We fully understand your worry and respect them greatly. We knew we would have this issue with some and want to be fully open about this issue.

Thanks - and I know you are looking and doing your homework. Facebook is the one that seems to scare me - just as I described on how they seem to be scraping even a lot of stuff from the cookies left behind from Amazon on my PC. I use totally different login ID's/emails with those two services.

I was given a valid suggestion and can take that option.

My apologies for asking again, but I think my question got lost in all the activity on this thread.

Exactly what benefit does logging in offer as apposed to just using the app offline? Or can it not be used offline?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't know if you guys noticed the 3D Touch brings you straight into entering data.
7a2be28fd6970f7e156976fbacd3f076.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies for asking again, but I think my question got lost in all the activity on this thread.

Exactly what benefit does logging in offer as apposed to just using the app offline? Or can it not be used offline?

We did this to assist the user who is using the free version when they unlock paid features. Keep in mind the version uploaded now contains features that will be paid in the future. This is to assist funding development and keep the App updated and improving in the future. Had we allowed the user not to create some sort of account when/if they upgrade they would be forced to create a new pool in the App and start from scratch as our servers would have no information concerning your settings. Additionally there are features planned in the future that will greatly benefit from connecting to the cloud. We want users to use this App year after year. We want the user to store years worth of info in PoolMath so they can predict just what their pool is going to do. All of this data will likely quickly fill up your phone and will take forever to access had we not bypassed and went to the cloud instead.

Beta-testing app. When I slid SLAM button to On, automatically put 24 as target FC level, which is twice actual recommended level for my CYA level. Someone who does not know to look at SLAM chart may think this is the recommended FC level based on his/her CYA. Just a thought.
Overall, app is great. Especially love that it does division for you so you know gals. and oz. for bleach and don't have to break out the calculator :))

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.