Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2020
London U.K.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m not sure if it’s because I’m a newbie but I must need to look at the FC / CYA chart every couple of days. When in the pool app it’s a good few clicks, would be great if there was a link off the app menu.

Reactions: JodieM
I must need to look at the FC / CYA chart every couple of days.
You're not alone. :crazy: But not sure I understand your concern. You say it's just a few clicks in PoolMath, but wish it was in the APP menu. So you would just like to see the chart added somewhere on a PoolMath menu, is that right? Somewhere quick so you don't have to dig down with multiple clicks?

You're not alone. :crazy: But not sure I understand your concern. You say it's just a few clicks in PoolMath, but wish it was in the APP menu. So you would just like to see the chart added somewhere on a PoolMath menu, is that right? Somewhere quick so you don't have to dig down with multiple clicks?
Yes that’s right. Ideally an option on the menu that just displays the chart.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Please note, none of what I’m going to write is meant to be argumentative or disagreeable. My goal here is to learn your point of view as it differs from mine……and somehow deliver a higher quality product in the end.

My initial reaction is why? I’d like to avoid the menu option as I’d like to keep you inside the app, not create a path for you to leave. I see why you would want a way to quickly consume the FC/CYA chart, but I’d prefer to skip that step all together and give you the info inside of PoolMath. So let me ask this, as I’m looking to learn here……

When you exit PoolMath and navigate to the FC/CYA page, what info are you looking for? What content is missing inside of PoolMath that you can easily find on the chart?? What question are you looking to answer???

Again, I ask these not to argue, but to learn. Jon and I have talked in the past about tinkering with the advice page for chlorine, and I’m wondering if we can easily/clearly smash the info here from the chart to the App……saving you the need to migrate to a new page.

Damo I have a suggestion that may work for you. I took a screenshot of the chart so it’s always easily found in my phone pics. With 2 clicks I can pull it up and reference it. (Usually trying to help someone about *their* CYA/FC).

@Leebo I totally see Damo’s point for anyone wondering what the different ranges would be without plugging it into the CYA part of the app to see what poolmath recommended. More for a quick reference kind of thing...... ahhhhh !!! If I went to 40, my target would be 5-7 and 50 would be 6-8. Or quick glance for the SLAM level at 80 without having to change your CYA level to find out.

Could it be added as a reference chart in the left side hamburger menu with pool school, effects of adding, etc ?

Reactions: BoringDamo
No worries at all @Leebo. I work in software engineering (once an app developer but now just look after the youngsters who do it!) so totally understand getting the user experience right (and asking questions like you are).

Yes what @Newdude said.

TLDR;

In my case I’m new to pool ownership (it’s only a 5000gal Intex) and haven’t sorted out a stable cya (in fact it’s near 0 at the mo but using Dichlor until temps rise and we start swimming). As @Newdude said I’m constantly wondering about the different ranges and the reason I raised the suggestion is I have found myself on at least 10 occasions opening the chart. To me, *in my scenario* having that chart easily available at a single click would be great.

Are there any other common scenarios that mean others would also want that?

More menu items can mean less slick and clean UI and possibly harder for others to use. Need to work out the balance on this on whether it would be worth it. (In a world with more money I’d probably be running user surveys, perhaps some A/B testing etc - perhaps a forum poll - “how often do you look at the FC/CYA chart when using pool math app”).

As a side note, I’m still learning about the chemistry balances and make lots of use of the effects of adding calculator just to see the impacts of adding different stuff. I may have spent 20 mins one day (yes I’m geeky like that) just plugging different additions and volumes in to see what happened. I’ve read the pool school articles on all the chemicals more than once but I find I struggle to recall / learn information when just read, I need to do something with it for it to sink in. Just my learning style.
Sorry, this turned into a whole bunch more words than probably needed

Reactions: Newdude
Exactly that Lee. As the test that’s most subjective and we all hate.... it’s common to want to know +/- 10 and what those recommended levels would be. It’s easy to plug your actual # in and see what’s recommended but if you want other values you need to plug those in one at a time with a few clicks each to explore. (Cuz Lord knows we are ALL unsure of our exact CYA) It works but it’s clunky. A quick glance with one or two clicks would be more user friendly.

Reactions: BoringDamo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.