wk5h

Jun 18, 2022
Snyder, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First year pool noob - I am using the Pool Math app, and setting up a ~7,000 above ground pool.
I need to add CYA, and I am assuming that the dry stabilizer is %100 cyanuric acid? If it's mentioned, I haven't seen it yet.

I am assuming that the dry stabilizer is %100 cyanuric acid?
That is correct. For CYA there is the granular stabilizer or the liquid conditioner. Both are designed to increase CYA.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool!

Use the "sock method" to add CYA to avoid damage to the liner and equipment.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Pool Math. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

What about the liquid? All I can find locally is the Bioguard Instant Stabilizer 100, which I assume is cyanuric acid plus whatever ingredients to keep it stable in liquid form?

Most WalMarts or Home Depot have CYA Stabilizer in granular form. I assume Snyder has one of those stores. Have you checked there?

Most WalMarts or Home Depot have CYA Stabilizer in granular form. I assume Snyder has one of those stores. Have you checked there?
We do have a Walmart, but it's been out of the granular CYA for a few weeks now. No Home Depot here though. A local hardware store is the only place that has CYA, but it's the Bioguard Instant Stabilizer 100 (liquid)

The issue with liquid is you need to add the entire gallon jug as it separates and settles in the bottom. That will add 50 ppm CYA to your 7000 gallon pool.

Also, do NOT directly add it to your pool. The particles in it will settle and likely stain the liner. Add it to your skimmer very very slowly.

If you use Amazon, search

Pool Mate 1-2607B Swimming Pool Stabilizer and Conditioner, 7-Pounds​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The issue with liquid is you need to add the entire gallon jug as it separates and settles in the bottom. That will add 50 ppm CYA to your 7000 gallon pool.

Also, do NOT directly add it to your pool. The particles in it will settle and likely stain the liner. Add it to your skimmer very very slowly.
I did find this out this evening. The bottle says "Shake Well"...
It should've also said "because contents at the bottom are the consistency of 4 yr old paint in a can"...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.