lbrogan2

Apr 9, 2024
Royse City, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All. New to the forum. This will be my first year balancing chemicals coming out of Winter. My pH is high (8.2) and I can't seem to get it to come down. I am using the muriactic Acid brand "Acid Magic". This is my fist time using this brand, and I'm starting to think the chemical makeup is different than I think it is. Has anyone had problems changing pH with Acid Magic?

Also, you may think that your pH is 8.2 because that may be the maximum detectable limit of your test. Your pH could actually be higher, and you require more acid than you think to bring it down. But I agree Acid Magic has a lower strength simply by it's advertising stating that you could poor it on your hand and it won't cause burns. Definitely not the case with the ~30+ percent strength (20 Baum) that I use.

I get mine usually from the local ACE Hardware, but I believe the Big Box stores carry it as well. Also, pool stores carry this strength too. As shown in the pic, the strength is 31.45% Hydrogen Chloride (Hydrochloric acid). The brand does not matter as long as it is 31.45% also known as 20 Baume. This stuff is pretty potent so make sure you don't breathe it (hold your breath while pouring) and definitely wear gloves and safety glasses.

I get mine usually from the local ACE Hardware, but I believe the Big Box stores carry it as well. Also, pool stores carry this strength too. As shown in the pic, the strength is 31.45% Hydrogen Chloride (Hydrochloric acid). The brand does not matter as long as it is 31.45% also known as 20 Baume. This stuff is pretty potent so make sure you don't breathe it (hold your breath while pouring) and definitely wear gloves and safety glasses.
Thank you! I’ll look for that next. It appears I shouldn’t have bought an entire case of Acid Magic…..