Pool Maintenance Redux

Jeff_S

Apr 2, 2020
Arlington, VA
I grew up with a swimming pool in our backyard, and for several seasons during my high school years I took care of not only our pool but also worked with a service to maintain pools in our town. So I thought I knew a thing or two...but that was nearly 40 years ago! We moved into our new home in Florida last year, and it's my first exposure to swimming pool maintenance in a long while. Salt water pools...who knew? Filters that don't use diatomaceous earth...who knew? Built-into-the-floor pool cleaners...who knew? Combination pool and hot tub...well, those existed back then, but they were rarer and I never worked on them. So it's been a fun learning experience, and just about everthing that could be replaced in my system now has been...new pump, new heater, new Paramount valve insert for the floor cleaner. But recently one of my CVA-24 valve actuators came up dead, and I decided I just didn't want to pay another minimum $115 to have the service guy come out. After some web searching, I found a few threads here about how to change the micrswitches, which I did this morning and it is back up and running beautifully. So, many thanks to this resource, and I will be sure to come back here when I need additional support.