Pool maintainance

Jul 6, 2014
EDISON-NJ
Need advise if its safe:
Have had pool open 3 weeks have been able to keep water clear only with Aqua chem plus chlorine tabs and a bag of 1 lb shock same brand every other day.
Water tested :Alk 80,ph 6.4,free clo -0-,hrd 50,cya 0.

Pool details:Rectangle 16x36, 3ft to 10 ft. aprox 30,000 gallons. vinyl, Hayward sand filter. Water looks great.

Do i really need to add other chemicals to pool. Please advise.

Welcome to TFP!

Your PH is way to low. Low PH can damage the pool. You should raise PH to at least 7.5.

Your CYA is also too low, which is causing you to lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each sunny day. If you are going to continue to use chlorine tablets you only want to raise CYA a little, as the tablets also contain CYA. If you are going to stop using the tablets, which I recommend, you want to raise CYA to around 40.

I would have to suspect those test results, but we do need some clarification here on what you have been using, the tablets are almost certainly trichlor, however the powder could be dichlor, trichlor or cal-hypo. I know Aqua Chem sells similar sounding name "shock products" that are made from both dichlor and trichlor, I am not sure about cal-hypo though. Since both trichlor and dichlor add FC and CYA to the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.