Mauibob

Jun 1, 2021
Maui Hawaii USA
I have an issue with the lights on my swimming pool through the COMPOOL Lx3830 control panel. When I try to turn on the lights at the panel, the relay clicks, but the light on the panel does not come on and neither do the lights in the pool. The circuit breaker is closed and I have voltage to the panel. I created a video showing the issue below. This is the third relay I used to make sure it's not a relay issue. When I hooked up the lights bypassing the system, they worked fine. There seems to be an issue somewhere between the relay and the junction box to the lights. When I initially installed the system I was using 500-watt lights. I have replaced them with 19-watt LED lights. The lights did not work with the 500-watt lights either. Any idea what's happening? Here's a video explaining what I see. Thank you.

Bob,

Can you see the pool light when you push the light button?

When you push the light button, the relay should stay on, but it does not. I suspect the light comes on when you push and hold the button but goes back out when you release the button.

This sounds like a circuit card issue. When you push the light button, the system should keep the light relay on when you release the button.

I know zip about your Compool system, but they all operate about the same way.

Something in your Compool system sends coil voltage to the light relay to keep in closed, and this is not happening.

If you have an unused Circuit, you could always just move the lights from where they are now to the unused circuit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bob, do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Checking voltages and continuity around the light relays can let you figure out where the problem is.

If you had unused relay circuits I would suggest you move the light over to another circuit but from your video it looks like all circuits are being used.

I think it is time to ask Santa for the Compool Upgrade to EasyTouch by Pentair Model 521107.

Bob, do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Checking voltages and continuity around the light relays can let you figure out where the problem is.

If you had unused relay circuits I would suggest you move the light over to another circuit but from your video it looks like all circuits are being used.

I think it is time to ask Santa for the Compool Upgrade to EasyTouch by Pentair Model 521107.

It sure seems like a problem on the Compool controller board. I can't imagine the relay clicks with either no indicator light, or the quick on/off on the indicator being anything other than the board. Regarding the EasyTouch upgrade...we had that installed about 5-7 years ago, and it worked well for at least several years. Then I had trouble with the board and had to replace it a few years ago. This past year, it popped into NO COMM mode (on the indoor panel), which I'm almost certain is a board problem. Our experience is just one data point of course, but I'm not a fan. Hence, I've been working (slowly) on replacing the whole thing with IntelliCenter.

So is the board in your panel a Compool board or an EasyTouch upgrade board?

I've been working (slowly) on replacing the whole thing with IntelliCenter.

I am not sure how you do an IntelliCenter replacement slowly.

I replaced a Jandy Aqualink with an IntelliCenter in one day with a bunch of pre-planning. See...

Allen,

The OP still has the old ComPool system.

When you get the upgrade, you get a whole new panel.

I like your Xmas gift idea.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.
When my existing system was upgraded, the ET Upgrade board went into the old Compool panel. There was no new panel.

I am not sure how you do an IntelliCenter replacement slowly.

I replaced a Jandy Aqualink with an IntelliCenter in one day with a bunch of pre-planning. See...

Hah! Yeah, it's basically a very lengthy planning process. I have a ton of conduit re-routing needed, as well as a need to bring in an extra sub-panel because of not enough breaker space in the IC. I have another thread from when I started this up, and I did review your thread closely back then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.