Pool light question

Jun 5, 2016
Matawan nj
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
After a long , frustrating few weeks trying to replace my pool's light bulb i got the correct size gasket and was finally ready to change the bulb, or so i thought. The bulb is too wide to fit in the housing. I got a color changing LED light and its too wide at top to fit in the housing. So i ordered a second bulb that looked narrower but that one is also too wide. Does anyone know of a color bulb that is shaped like a regular flood light bulb? It seems like that may be the only size that fits. Thank you in advance.

After a long , frustrating few weeks trying to replace my pool's light bulb i got the correct size gasket and was finally ready to change the bulb, or so i thought. The bulb is too wide to fit in the housing. I got a color changing LED light and its too wide at top to fit in the housing. So i ordered a second bulb that looked narrower but that one is also too wide. Does anyone know of a color bulb that is shaped like a regular flood light bulb? It seems like that may be the only size that fits. Thank you in advance.
Picture of light fixture would help.

Can you provide the light niche/assembly product line / model number?
The only number i could see was on the rim of the light fixture. Swimquip 5055. Its a very old pool from Anthony Sylvan. Thats why i had so much trouble finding a matching gasket. The old bulb looks like a typical flood light and it's 500 W.

The only number i could see was on the rim of the light fixture. Swimquip 5055. Its a very old pool from Anthony Sylvan. Thats why i had so much trouble finding a matching gasket. The old bulb looks like a typical flood light and it's 500 W.
Swimquip lights are smaller than the most common, an Amerilite. Inyopools website says they have bulbs that fit.

Two different fixtures? Both in very bad condition. Hopefully you have a GFCI in the circuit. If not, don't use them.
oh no, it's the same fixture. Not sure why it looks different in one pic but it is slightly cone shaped. It's worked fine for the first 7-8 years that i've lived there so i'm not worried about that , just hoping to find a color changing bulb that will fit now that i've told my son that we would have fun night time swims soon. I'll check inyo website next. Thank you

Can you provide the light niche/assembly product line / model number?
I'm not sure if got to see all of the responses in this thread so i wanted to respond here. It's a very old (90's) pool and the light only says Anthony Sylvan on the outside and swimquip 5055 on the inside of the lights frame. The opening at the top of the housing is 5 1/2 inches wide . The old bulb that i removed looks like a flood light and it fix perfectly so i will prob need a bulb around the same size. I will attach somes pics

Attachments

• IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2655.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure if got to see all of the responses in this thread so i wanted to respond here. It's a very old (90's) pool and the light only says Anthony Sylvan on the outside and swimquip 5055 on the inside of the lights frame. The opening at the top of the housing is 5 1/2 inches wide . The old bulb that i removed looks like a flood light and it fix perfectly so i will prob need a bulb around the same size. I will attach somes pics

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There seem to be a number of suppliers when doing a search online. Swimquip 5055 bulb at DuckDuckGo

I understand it's worked well for a number of years but now might be the time to consider changing to a low voltage LED option.

There seem to be a number of suppliers when doing a search online. Swimquip 5055 bulb at DuckDuckGo

I understand it's worked well for a number of years but now might be the time to consider changing to a low voltage LED option.
Thank you . I don't mind an upgrade , in fact i've been looking for an LED bulb all along but i don't want to have to change out the whole fixture bc that requires paying a professional , i just want toreplace the bulb.

I'm not ready to quit yet. I found a bulb that fits , i put the new gasket on (hopefully the correct way b/c one side had a slight lip to it) then i put all 10 screws back in as tight as i could and then spent the next hour+ trying to get the screw to lineup underwater . I can't do it. My eye are terrible w/o glasses so i tried doing it from outside the pool and couldn't line up the screw. Tried from in the water and can't see or manipulate it with only one hand free. I quit when it got too dark, bleeding from both big toes and from a scrape on my shin i was frustrated but determined to try again today with glasses on. I decided to try the light again since it was submerged for all that time last night and it works BUT when i got back to work this morning i noticed theres a little water inside the fixture. So thats bad correct ??

Water intrusion into a light is never a good thing. Possibly it is leaking in through the light-cord entrance or whatever that is on the opposite side.
As a repair person, I would have walked away from this as what you are experiencing is what could happen and I would be liable for a free repair/replacement. That's when the customer accuses you of just trying to get more money from them. As the pool/homeowner "ya pays your money and ya takes your chances." A luxury I couldn't afford except on my own pool.
At a certain point you have to just replace some pool equipment. That light was at end of life a long time ago and why it continued working was just borrowed time.

@Belluca Did you confirm that you have GFCI?
i wish i knew what those initials meant. I'm terribly UN-handy, but my electrician neighbor assures me that its safe to swim. There's still a little water inside the housing but it seems to be staying at the same level. I'll just enjoy to light while it lasts fully expecting it to go out eventually. I've made the screws as tight as i could get them (i have the blister on the palm of my hand to prove it). I guess it's just the old age of the light and pool so it's probably to be expected. Thank you for the assistance.

Look at your pool electrical equipment, a GFCI protected circuit would look like one of the two images below. There would be a test button that when pressed would shut the light off. That should be tested on a regular basis. Do the test yourself rather than taking the word of anyone else.

gfci-jpg.18013
XZ7hC9.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.