Pool Light low voltage

My05vette

Mar 29, 2019
East Texas
My pool light quit working. I changed the bulb and it still doesn’t work. I traced the wires back to the electrical box located above the filter in picture. It only has about 13v up to this point. Wire goes through a plate inside box into upper part of box and I can’t see in the upper half. No breakers thrown. Is this box some type of safety device or what? I would like to fix before I refill the pool.

Attachments

• 83024FCA-F1BB-4F1E-A0CD-E0FE40A6282E.jpeg
    83024FCA-F1BB-4F1E-A0CD-E0FE40A6282E.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 10
  • F1FCC187-DE84-4CDC-A17E-BC9CE2052EC7.jpeg
    F1FCC187-DE84-4CDC-A17E-BC9CE2052EC7.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 55CCA353-F8CB-482E-9190-70E9C6195EAF.jpeg
    55CCA353-F8CB-482E-9190-70E9C6195EAF.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 8
Welcome! :wave: Hard to tell from the picture. I see the Intermatic timer to the left, but the large box over the filter is hard to make out. Can you give us a closer picture? Also, update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Anything else that may help. Hopefully we'll get some eyes on this one to help.

Tracy,

If it is a low voltage light than 13 volts AC is about right.. I suspect the box is a transformer that takes 120 volts in ones side and sends low voltage about 12 volts out the other side.

Since the pool is empty, I'd want to test the voltage right at the lamp socket...

I said the above before re-reading you thread tile.. So now my question is... Is your light system 120 volts or 12 volts?

A 120 volt light would not pass through anything that looked like a transform... It would also have to be controlled by a GFCI device of some type.

I suspect you have a low voltage light.. But only you can tell for sure.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Tracy,

If it is a low voltage light than 13 volts AC is about right.. I suspect the box is a transformer that takes 120 volts in ones side and sends low voltage about 12 volts out the other side.

Since the pool is empty, I'd want to test the voltage right at the lamp socket...

I said the above before re-reading you thread tile.. So now my question is... Is your light system 120 volts or 12 volts?

A 120 volt light would not pass through anything that looked like a transform... It would also have to be controlled by a GFCI device of some type.

I suspect you have a low voltage light.. But only you can tell for sure.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
That makes sense. I checked voltage up to the junction box just before the light. I have the light out so it will be easy to test. I’ve never looked for a 12v screw in light before. Where can they be found? It makes sense why the bulb I put in doesn’t work too. Lol

Any markings on the bulb you removed? Post a pic of the bulb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.