Pool light housing leak

Mar 10, 2015
Lafayette/CA
Very old wall niche Pentair fixture . Was in before I bought my home back in 2005 . I replaced the bulb and (out of market) gasket last year with a typical Chinese LED . Worked great all last summer and blew out upon opening this year. I opened it all up to find a slight amount of water is getting in . I'm guessing its corrosion of the power cable into the housing, but its so very slight , it's hard to tell from holding housing under water. ...I've heard all sorts of ways to try mend with marine layer epoxy.

I'm thinking of just buying a Pentair / Amerlite authentic gasket and giving it another shot ....possibly putting epoxy layer on inner / outer shell where power comes in...before I have to replace the entire housing. Do those grommet repair kits work? Just hit it with some waterproof silicone? I'm not even sure the power cord entrance is the issue , but considering the age of this fixture, very possible ...it's a tiny amount of water getting in .

What do you guys suggest? Thanks !

Last edited:
following - same issue. I sealed the cord entry with A-B putty, testing for leaks now. One, after 48 hours, just had condensation on the inside of the lens, hoping that it was just not completely dry when I assembled it...

following - same issue. I sealed the cord entry with A-B putty, testing for leaks now. One, after 48 hours, just had condensation on the inside of the lens, hoping that it was just not completely dry when I assembled it...
I'm thinking about just getting the Pentair gasket & hitting the power cable entry with water proof epoxy before I think about replacing this dinosaur because its really a small amount of water ..

I was wondering about the pentair gasket myself. The ones I have are aftermarket silicone ones, you would think those would be better than rubber, which the oem ones are. The thing I can’t resolve is that the gasket will fit tight on one side, but not the other, so it seems like the clamp pressure is uneven, or not perfectly lined up.

I was wondering about the pentair gasket myself. The ones I have are aftermarket silicone ones, you would think those would be better than rubber, which the oem ones are. The thing I can’t resolve is that the gasket will fit tight on one side, but not the other, so it seems like the clamp pressure is uneven, or not perfectly lined up.
yes...its a very horrible design , hard to get an even clamp down & if you're fixture is bent in any way forget about it ...might as well get a new one....I'm thinking corrosion & water leaking at the power cable entrance to house ...

sooooo, I think my housing is shot, water got in it & getting no power reading on voltage meter ....looking at just replacing with Pentair EC602128 , identical...any better options?
Ugh, that stinks. I'm investigating options myself. Looked at J&J electronics (also called Halco) lights - they make incandescent and LED options, and seem like a better design than the stupid Pentair ones. I also talked to Florida Sunseeker. They have their own light that's resin filled. Not serviceable, but no opportunity for water to get in either. 3 year warranty and a lot cheaper than Pentair. They have a few options to consider at any rate.

I recently installed the J&J Colorspash XG-W and the Bluetooth controller. I'm very please with how bright and colorful the light is. I haven't used the Bluetooth function's yet but the controller works great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.