Pool light housing leak

tommypenngotti

Mar 10, 2015
Lafayette/CA
Very old wall niche Pentair fixture . Was in before I bought my home back in 2005 . I replaced the bulb and (out of market) gasket last year with a typical Chinese LED . Worked great all last summer and blew out upon opening this year. I opened it all up to find a slight amount of water is getting in . I'm guessing its corrosion of the power cable into the housing, but its so very slight , it's hard to tell from holding housing under water. ...I've heard all sorts of ways to try mend with marine layer epoxy.

I'm thinking of just buying a Pentair / Amerlite authentic gasket and giving it another shot ....possibly putting epoxy layer on inner / outer shell where power comes in...before I have to replace the entire housing. Do those grommet repair kits work? Just hit it with some waterproof silicone? I'm not even sure the power cord entrance is the issue , but considering the age of this fixture, very possible ...it's a tiny amount of water getting in .

What do you guys suggest? Thanks !

Last edited:

Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
following - same issue. I sealed the cord entry with A-B putty, testing for leaks now. One, after 48 hours, just had condensation on the inside of the lens, hoping that it was just not completely dry when I assembled it...

tommypenngotti

Mar 10, 2015
Lafayette/CA
following - same issue. I sealed the cord entry with A-B putty, testing for leaks now. One, after 48 hours, just had condensation on the inside of the lens, hoping that it was just not completely dry when I assembled it...
I'm thinking about just getting the Pentair gasket & hitting the power cable entry with water proof epoxy before I think about replacing this dinosaur because its really a small amount of water ..

Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was wondering about the pentair gasket myself. The ones I have are aftermarket silicone ones, you would think those would be better than rubber, which the oem ones are. The thing I can’t resolve is that the gasket will fit tight on one side, but not the other, so it seems like the clamp pressure is uneven, or not perfectly lined up.

tommypenngotti

Mar 10, 2015
Lafayette/CA
I was wondering about the pentair gasket myself. The ones I have are aftermarket silicone ones, you would think those would be better than rubber, which the oem ones are. The thing I can’t resolve is that the gasket will fit tight on one side, but not the other, so it seems like the clamp pressure is uneven, or not perfectly lined up.
yes...its a very horrible design , hard to get an even clamp down & if you're fixture is bent in any way forget about it ...might as well get a new one....I'm thinking corrosion & water leaking at the power cable entrance to house ...

tommypenngotti

Mar 10, 2015
Lafayette/CA
sooooo, I think my housing is shot, water got in it & getting no power reading on voltage meter ....looking at just replacing with Pentair EC602128 , identical...any better options?

Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
sooooo, I think my housing is shot, water got in it & getting no power reading on voltage meter ....looking at just replacing with Pentair EC602128 , identical...any better options?
Ugh, that stinks. I'm investigating options myself. Looked at J&J electronics (also called Halco) lights - they make incandescent and LED options, and seem like a better design than the stupid Pentair ones. I also talked to Florida Sunseeker. They have their own light that's resin filled. Not serviceable, but no opportunity for water to get in either. 3 year warranty and a lot cheaper than Pentair. They have a few options to consider at any rate.

rgraves08

May 18, 2020
Indiana
I recently installed the J&J Colorspash XG-W and the Bluetooth controller. I'm very please with how bright and colorful the light is. I haven't used the Bluetooth function's yet but the controller works great.

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
I’m going to be doing a bulb replacement soon. Has anyone considered “Flex Seal” (that you see on TV) to spray on possible water entry points after the fixture is reassembled?
I wondering if it is a good idea or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support