Pool light bulb installation

jfleming

Aug 7, 2020
New Jersey
Hello,

I'm trying to replace the light bulbs in my pool lights. There are two lights, one in the main pool area and one in the jacuzzi area of the pool. I tried replacing the bulb in the jacuzzi area and ran into an issue. In the fixture is a spring loaded metal disk that is positioned right where the bulb would be (see pictures). You can push the disk out of the way to get the bulb in but there is so much tension on the springs that when you do this the disk pushes back into the bulb and actually breaks it. I'm assuming I'm using the wrong type of bulb, the one I purchased is this one: Amazon.com: Feit Electric 100R20/S-12 100 Watt 12 Volt Pool/Spa Short Flood Reflector: Home Improvement

Please let me know if you have any insights into the type of bulb I need and how to install it with this disk/spring mechanism in place. Thanks!

JohnLightFixture2.jpg

Attachments

• LightFixture1.jpg
    LightFixture1.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 6
Can you provide the mfg. name of the light fixture? Also, did you remove the old (non-working) bulb? Can you share a picture of that one or was there no bulb in the fixture? I found this info in an old thread. " The spring lays on the bulb itself. If the bulb bursts when in use, the spring sweeps across the filament, cutting the electricity in the circuit. In this way, if water has gotten into the fixture, a live electrical circuit won’t stay in contact with the water, ultimately electrocuting someone in the pool. "

Can you provide the mfg. name of the light fixture? Also, did you remove the old (non-working) bulb? Can you share a picture of that one or was there no bulb in the fixture? I found this info in an old thread. " The spring lays on the bulb itself. If the bulb bursts when in use, the spring sweeps across the filament, cutting the electricity in the circuit. In this way, if water has gotten into the fixture, a live electrical circuit won’t stay in contact with the water, ultimately electrocuting someone in the pool. "
Thanks for the reply. The fixture mfg. is Hayward. I don't have the old bulb but I did see that same info on that old thread, and that's probably what it is. I'm probably just using the wrong bulb, but not sure how to track down the right bulb to use.

Get in touch w/ Inyo Pools via their online chat, they'll be able to locate the appropriate bulbs.

BTW if you weren't already aware you should also replace the gasket when changing the bulb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.