Pool leaking only when cold & pump is off

dm123

Dec 13, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Title pretty much says it. We had the same problem last winter around December & paid to have sonar leak detection. They patched the holes in late December. By February, it had leaked again. I’m talking 8-12 inches a month kind of leak. The pool guys said basically they had no clue— the patches should have worked (they were very small holes anyways) and it’s obviously not leaking at the pump or filter. Some observations:
I’ve observed the pool since February 2017. We just put more water in it that month to keep the level up. Once temps were above 50 everyday, there were no more leaks. During the summer when the pool cover was off & the pump was on, there were no leaks. Even when there was a dry spell & some natural evaporation, I didn’t have to put water in it. Closed the pool September 1st. Watched the water levels — they were fine & hadn’t dropped until the end of novemever when temps got pretty low. At this point we started losing pretty quicky around 4 inches in a few days. In December the pump was off for 2 weeks. I checked water levels after this time and we had lost ~2 feet or more of water. We refilled so we could run the pump during below freezing temps. When the pump is running, we don’t lose any water. When it’s cold (below 40) & the pump is off, we lose a ton. We don’t see any water anywhere in our yard. Our Hayward sand filter & the pump motor were replaced last year before closing the pool & are brand new (also not leaking). What could it be? Where is the water going? we are at a loss of what to do since we’ve already done the sonar detection only to find two small leaks that were patched.

What type of construction is your pool? Plaster? Vinyl liner? Fiberglass?

Where did they patch holes in December?

If you let the water continue to drop it will stop when it gets below the leak area. Where it stops gives good clues. Water leakage through light niches are common.

This may help - leak-detection

Last edited:
What type of construction is your pool? Plaster? Vinyl liner? Fiberglass?

Where did they patch holes in December?

If you let the water continue to drop it will stop when it gets below the leak area. Where it stops gives good clues. Water leakage through light niches are common.

This may help - leak-detection
Vinyl liner. They patched it last December. It was two small holes. The lowest we let it get was about 3.5 ft below normal. That’s when they did the leak detections. Should we pay for someone else to do ANOTHER leak detection? The same problem the next year makes me think it’s not the liner..

Not sure what that means but I’ll do some googling.
Ha ha. Basically the HSV helps to relieve pressure caused by rising water tables under the pool. Sometimes, the valve can stick or have a bad seal. While the water temp may/may not be an issue, water tables might change seasonally for your area and "might" explain the water loss in the winter. Something to consider anyways.

Reactions: dm123
Ha ha. Basically the HSV helps to relieve pressure caused by rising water tables under the pool. Sometimes, the valve can stick or have a bad seal. While the water temp may/may not be an issue, water tables might change seasonally for your area and "might" explain the water loss in the winter. Something to consider anyways.

I will definitely ask the pool service company if I can find someone good

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.