Bbeck05

May 14, 2022
Pierre, SD
Uncovered my pool to find that the water had dropped several feet from where I left it in the fall. My pool guy thought it was probably a leak in the liner. Told me to drain the pool, plug the main drain at the bottom of the deep end, and back fill the main line to see if there was a leak in the main drain. I went to drain the pool from the main drain, and the pump isn’t pulling water. Not an issue with the pump because I poured water into skimmer line and it flushed out just fine. Worried that the air lock on the main drain was broken and that there’s a crack in the line at the level where the water settled (about 6 ft below ground). This seems unlikely though as it would be pretty deep to have frozen, even in South Dakota winters. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!
Best option is to plug the main drain in the pool and see if the pool holds water. There is no need for a main drain anyway.
Let's see if our members have some other ideas.
I suggest you read through Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Uncovered my pool to find that the water had dropped several feet from where I left it in the fall. My pool guy thought it was probably a leak in the liner. Told me to drain the pool, plug the main drain at the bottom of the deep end, and back fill the main line to see if there was a leak in the main drain. I went to drain the pool from the main drain, and the pump isn’t pulling water. Not an issue with the pump because I poured water into skimmer line and it flushed out just fine. Worried that the air lock on the main drain was broken and that there’s a crack in the line at the level where the water settled (about 6 ft below ground). This seems unlikely though as it would be pretty deep to have frozen, even in South Dakota winters. Any thoughts?
Great news- I let the pump run a little longer and it eventually started pulling water. Just needed some time to pump from 6 feet down. I plugged the main drain and backfilled from the pump. We’ll see if the line holds water in the next day or so. Betting it’s the liner at this point and will replace soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.