Pool Leak - Questions on identification

May 16, 2017
DFW, TX
Hi All,

I have a pool with a built in hot tub and I have a leak. I am thinking it may be a pipe based on my loss rate of a little over an inch in 24 hours.

With that, my hot tub level is draining at the same rate as the pool. Does this tell any of you anything as to what may be going on for both to be dropping at the same rate?

Logic tells me it could be my main drain, but, if so, my hot tub should not be dropping at the same rate.

As a note, i have separate jandy valves for the hot tub, main drain and skimmers.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
It must be in a shared pipe if they are both leaking at the same rate - check your equipment pad and heater and look for any puddles, since they *probably* do not share any underground plumbing. I assume your hot tub is higher than your pool and your valves/check valves are working or it would drain to the level of the pool.....

Is your pool water level and your spa water level at the same height?

If you don't have a check valve, or the check valve has failed, the spa water will drain to the pool through the shared return system. Hydraulics will keep the pool and spa at the same level. So if the pool is leaking the spa level will follow the pool water down.

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad and of the spa..

Can you heat the spa separately from the pool?

When in the pool mode, does the spa flow over into the pool?

Some "spas" are really just part of the pool with jets.. I want to make sure you have a spa that can be isolated from the pool by turning valves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.